S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

bit the bullet in so cal

Old 04-05-2002, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to bring my girlfriend, as I had already sold my beemer and needed a ride to the dealership over an hour away. In all honesty I made the decision for myself, not her. I needed the car and potential savings from getting another $700 off the price were diminishing with each week I waited and each dealership I visited in the ever widening circle. I am sure that I could have find the exact deal, but I needed a car period. It was getting to the point of slight rip off on the S or settle for RSX type-s, clearly a diffent league. I also considered an Acura CL type-s (apples and oranges compared to the S, I know), but although this is slightly cheaper than an S2000 the lower residual made the lease considerably more expensive.

Next time I will get a deal in writing obviously before I make the drive. But don't get me wrong I called them three times trying to pin them down on exact lease numbers. I knew to take the vague assurances I got in return with a grain of salt, but I figured Irvine is only an hour away and I took my chance. I dealt also with Rock Honda in Fontana, and they were much more up front with actual numbers, but they admitted to a similar markup plus the price of a spoiler, and fontana is two hours at least.

###### Honda has been named a few times in this thread already, they are the only ones in Irvine. Here's another clue... it is actually ### ######## Honda. Even Maxwell Smart could figure this one out.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:04 PM

The best thing now is to enjoy the car!

I know you wouldn't be nearly as happy in the RSX or the CL.

And like you said, you needed the car, and if you would have kept waiting to do more checking, the car might have been sold to someone else. Then you'd really be upset.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:15 PM

First place goes to VTEC RACER. Evidently this is not an isolated incident, and it is indeed the cheesiest looking dealership I visited. The Honda dealership in Kabul is probably more plush. I will definitely tell the Honda customer service people what I think.

As for the prices out here being so much more than elsewhere, it is due to the facts that this is one of the most expensive parts in the country already, and we have sunny weather year round (not really true but we like to perpetuate that myth to the rest of the country). This makes the S2000 practical for a lot more people and drives the price up. I wondered how it would go to order under MSRP from another part of the country and have it shipped. How much would it cost, etc. The fact that I was leasing complicated these issues I thought, and I couldn't wait but maybe I could have saved some money?
Old 04-05-2002, 12:34 PM

Don't feel bad I got away alot worse off than you did.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:47 PM

He said he could not vouch for what his salesman said, and he can see from my credit report that i have visited 5 honda dealerships trying to hammer out a deal, and they are offering me the best one yet, so why gripe about what amounts to a dollar a day
I'm sorry about your experience, but in reading your post, I did learn something. It's interesting that they use your credit report, as opposed to your credit per se, to infer things about you and your shopping history. I guess that you can't blame them for being savvy, but something about that just doesn't sit well with me.

But you'll love the car!!!! Congratulations!
Old 04-05-2002, 01:01 PM

who's going thru this thread and editing out the dealership name? are they are sponsor or something? all i can say is that sounds like a HORRIBLE experience. i had a similar experience at the dealership in montclair but was able to walk away. not all salespeople/dealerships are shady and that's why we need to share info about the good and the bad alike. what's with the censorship? his complaint is legtimate.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KT'S SUZUKA
[B]who's going thru this thread and editing out the dealership name?
Old 04-05-2002, 01:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jbov
[B]First place goes to VTEC RACER.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KT'S SUZUKA
[B]who's going thru this thread and editing out the dealership name?
Old 04-05-2002, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jbov
[B] I dealt also with Rock Honda in Fontana, and they were much more up front with actual numbers, but they admitted to a similar markup plus the price of a spoiler, and fontana is two hours at least.

Quick Reply: bit the bullet in so cal