S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Bike Racks for s2k's

Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,Apr 28 2010, 01:03 PM
pay to play, my friend

Just for comparison, current MSRP for my complete Yakima rack on my DD is almost $850 and only carries two bikes. However, it does it securely and offers the flexibility to carry other items with relatively little more investement.

Originally Posted by Picturepro,Aug 3 2010, 07:06 PM
the only way to fly...

I've used racks that hang off the back of cars before with straps (never on the S). To me there is too much risk to the car and the bikes using such inexpesive racks for anything more than the occasional recreational trip.

IMO, it depends completely on how you intend to use it.

My recommendation is:
1) if you've got an SUV, use it. Bikes inside are out of the weather, locked up, and at no risk to falling off in the road (I know people who've had this happen) or getting damaged in a fender bender. For cheap, you can get a couple bolt-down fork mounts that can either be installed in the SUV or onto a home-made rig that can hold the bikes upright in the back of the SUV. This is what my parents do, and it works great.

2) if you've got a receiver hitch, use it. Receiver hitch-mounted racks are sturdy, often times offer the ability to lock (at least keep people from a quick lift), and can be easily removed when not in use. Downsides can include the risk of the bikes being damaged in a fender-bender and losing some access to the trunk/tailgate (although, many offer the ability to fold down out of the way).

IMO, although costly, this is the only way to go if you MUST carry bikes with your S2000.

3) Roof racks are great, but have their downsides. They hurt gas mileage, are not as easily removed (though, not difficult) as hitch-mounted racks, and can be expensive. I do like that my bike is secure, does not take up room in my car, or interfere with access to the trunk, and I didn't have to have anything installed on the car to mount the rack.

I doubt there is any company that offers a roof-rack for a removeable hardtop.

The nice thing about factory installed roof racks/rails is that many of the name-brand roof-rack bike trays can be easily installed for just the cost of the trays themselves and a few small parts. Keep that in mind if the SUV has factory racks.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my DD, an Accord 07, we got a towbar mounted which then hooks up vertically to a pole that has room for 4 bikes on it. Like this:

That horizontal beam at the bottom connects to the tow bar which protrudes just enough from the rear of the car to stop any scuffing / damage occurring.

Like so.

It's quick release, easy to use and I haven't had a problem with it.