S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

best way to purchase an s2000?

Old 04-04-2016, 10:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bank does not offer loans for any cars over 10 years old. I decided to just save up cash and buy my car outright. I haven't had my s2k for a year and I've already spent more than 4k on fixing it up. If I had to be making car payments on top of that plus insurance I'd be really bummed. My advice is to save up the money, you won't regret it.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zack225
FWIW I had no problem getting a loan for my 02 last year through my credit union with a reasonable rate.
Sorta same here. My CU doesn't care about the age of the vehicle, just as long as it has less than 100k miles on it. For cars over 100k they only do 24-month loans.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im gonna go on the other side and say you should be able to get a loan. Im a bank representative at my job, and I do loans for kids, shit, like myself, loans all day long. Just financed a friend of mine an 04 infiniti g35 with an %8 apr. For someone out age, (im also 19) without much credit, that's a decent percentage. Private party is the way to go also. If you want, PM me and ill give you my info, We can of course do loans over the phone
Old 04-05-2016, 10:49 AM

Also, My insurance payments are only 93 dollars a month. Granted im on my parents policy.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lil Dre
Also, My insurance payments are only 93 dollars a month. Granted im on my parents policy.

Yeah man. Plan is to have 5500 saved and only finance like 7k of it. My insurance drops big time in August since it'll be three years of having my license. For an ap2 s2k it'll be 115 a month which I wouldn't say is too terrible.
But it won't let me view your profile here on the forum =(
Old 04-05-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best way for a 19 year old to get an s2000?

1. get a reliable daily driver
2. get an education
3. get a good job
4. get a house
5. save for retirement
6. buy toys!
Old 04-05-2016, 12:43 PM

Plenty of young s2k owners on here. I know 19 year olds who drive vipers and such.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,024 Posts

I have been PMing a new S owner, local guy, on stuff in the area and it turns out he is 16 and in HS. Would not have guessed it from his polished writing skills. Did not ask how he managed the purchase.

Dang, I was a senior in college before I could afford a car. Paid cash. $1. Sold it for $250 years later. Only car I made money on.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plenty of young s2k owners on here. I know 19 year olds who drive vipers and such.

Plenty of people smoke crack; doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I'll gladly play the role of Buzz Killington when it comes to teenagers and car loans (or, debt in general).

Now, who would like to look at some etchings?
Old 04-05-2016, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Originally Posted by tunernocrust96' timestamp='1459716343' post='23926997
Hey guys, I am currently 19 years of age. I really want to purchase an s2000 later on this year maybe around September time or so. I have a solid full time job , just got a secured credit card a few months back To start building my credit. Plan is to have around 5,500 saved up to use as a downpayment on a 2002-2005 model s2k, ap2 is more preferable.
Is it possible that the bank will help me out with a Loan around September time considering I will have only had a credit history of 6-7 months?
I just wanted to hear other peoples input since I haven't had experience with loans before. Thanks guys
<1 year of credit and you want to get an auto loan? Not going to happen without a co-signer...And you're not going to get a good rate.

And as others pointed out, some (most) large banks will not give auto loans for vehicles older than a certain age (around ten years at my bank) and you're required to certain insurance coverages.
that's not true, if he doesn't have any late payments and no huge amount of payoffs on the credit cards by September, he won't need a co-signer. I'm positive he can get a loan. They'll give him a loan, but maybe a higher rate do to the age of the vehicle and make sure OP you don't buy a over priced S2000. (look at the mileage and year and put into NADA. All credit Unions and banks use NADA to determine Car values.) If it's priced over the book, have some cash to boot the difference if your credit is under 700. I work at a dealership so i know. All cars being Finance doesn't require certain insurance coverages... It requires Full coverages comp/collision.

Im gonna go on the other side and say you should be able to get a loan. Im a bank representative at my job, and I do loans for kids, shit, like myself, loans all day long. Just financed a friend of mine an 04 infiniti g35 with an %8 apr. For someone out age, (im also 19) without much credit, that's a decent percentage. Private party is the way to go also. If you want, PM me and ill give you my info, We can of course do loans over the phone
^^^ this man knows what he's saying. ^^^

Quick Reply: best way to purchase an s2000?