S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Best Slotted Rotors

Old 06-27-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only performance benefit i've noticed is that slotted rotors help reduce fade after long braking sessions.

in my experience, they don't help you stop faster, harder, whatever. performance pads help in that dept.

i've never used big brake kits or anything though, and my experience with upgraded brake systems is limited, so take my observations with a grain of salt.

just slotted rotors, performance pads, and other miscellaneous things.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by -Q-,Jun 27 2007, 07:48 AM
Isn't anyone else on here a little leery when people say "drill/slot them yourself"? I personally would *never* do that to any rotors. If i wanted slotted rotors, i'd get slotted rotors. Same for the drilled.

Brakes are a very very very important component to the car. I would never ever compromise them in a DIY fashion for aesthetics.
perhaps you don't work in the friction industry.

i do.

if i want slotted rotors, i can do it. if i want more aggressive pads, i can make them.
i'm not suggesting that everyone go get oem rotors and actually try to do some slotting. just saying that's what i did. when it comes to improved braking performance, 99% of your gains are made in the pad, not the rotor. i personally happen to like the way drilled and slotted rotors look, so that's why i did what i did.
and if you'll read a little more carefully, i said i dimpled mine, not drilled them. big difference.

anyway next time i'll be a little more clear about what exactly i mean, and next time you can take what i say with a grain of salt.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:20 AM

hmm ya the car will see some tracks, canyons, autox type junk is the 3 yr 36k warrenty worth it or do rotors usually last longer than that?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:27 AM
-Q-

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,Jun 27 2007, 01:46 PM
perhaps you don't work in the friction industry.

i do.

if i want slotted rotors, i can do it. if i want more aggressive pads, i can make them.
i'm not suggesting that everyone go get oem rotors and actually try to do some slotting. just saying that's what i did. when it comes to improved braking performance, 99% of your gains are made in the pad, not the rotor. i personally happen to like the way drilled and slotted rotors look, so that's why i did what i did.
and if you'll read a little more carefully, i said i dimpled mine, not drilled them. big difference.

anyway next time i'll be a little more clear about what exactly i mean, and next time you can take what i say with a grain of salt.
You're right, i don't work in the friction industry.

Secondly, i was not intending to flame you specifically. Yes, i read that you did say "dimpled" and not drilled. I was really referring to the anyone that has the great idea to do it themselves.

Again, i was not intending to flame you or attack you, but merely to let anyone who doesn't know any better not to just go buy rotors and start drilling them and ending up having a catastrophe. And frankly, there are people stupid enough to do that.

Next time, i'll be sure to run my post by you for your approval.

Thanks very much for your time.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:38 AM

You two need to hug and get over this one.

I would definiltey not attempt to modify something as crucial as braking components myself, but I'm a tool sometimes mechanically. Other times I'm a genius For safety I'd favor someone else consistent, I'll leave it up to the experts and R&D teams who have failed enough on their own dime to sell me safety parts that won't fail.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by -Q-,Jun 27 2007, 10:27 AM
Secondly, i was not intending to flame you specifically. Yes, i read that you did say "dimpled" and not drilled. I was really referring to the anyone that has the great idea to do it themselves.
whatever you say.

regardless, this post isn't about you and me.

it comes down to this: if you like the looks of drilled/slotted rotors, and have the ability to do it yourself or have someone that you trust to do it, then save some money. or pay extra for it. i could care less. i was sharing my experience, that's all. in the end though, modified rotors (whether it be drilled, slotted, cryogenically frozen, whatever) are going to contribute about 1% to your braking performance.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most aftermarket rotors are cast then put holes in it.

The best way to go about that is to have one that's not entirely drilled all the way but ones that's half way countersunk.

but with ebay selling front and rear rotors for $250, I'll just get those and if they do crack, just replace them.

Warranties are for suckers. I would never take my time to do warranty anything. That's wasting my time, thus wasting my money.

just buy something cheap, beat the hell out of it and if it breaks, buy another one. no worries.

Just my s2000.

"always live a bit under your means" - me.

just because you can, that doesn't mean you should.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:01 AM

ive ran brembo on my audis they work great, no rust, low wear price is about avg. i have been eyeing spoons. anybody have any word on how they wear?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by plokivos,Jun 27 2007, 10:53 AM
most aftermarket rotors are cast then put holes in it.
I believe all the quality rotors are cast. cutting (slotted or drilled) really weakens the rotor and is not a good idea if you plan on taking the car to the track. For street driving, you will never see those kinds of stresses so I guess it would be ok.

I have access to the proper equipment to slot my rotors, but if I really wanted slotted or drilled rotors I would go get a cast set.

As for getting cheap rotors and just tossing them when they fail... depending on how/when they fail it might cost you waaaay more than just replacement rotors depending on when/how they decide to go.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rotors like brembos have holes already planned before they cast them, that's why it's so expensive, because there are more labor involved in it to clean it up. However, the benefit is that the rotors will be much stronger since the molecules are evently distributed around the integrated holes, which means no cracking.

I've never had problems with Ebay rotors, and I usually buy the blank. They're cheaper and you don't run into the problems with cracking them, which usually is a bad thing.

some of them do some weird cnc machining out of a block, which is suspect, since they're putting holes in a hot rolled block which isn't the best way to approach it.

Quick Reply: Best Slotted Rotors