S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Best mods?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pputkowski,Oct 25 2008, 07:55 AM
I agree with everything in your post except for this. If you're not planning on going FI for a while then an intake would be great! I picked up a K&N FIPK for my 02 and boy what a difference! It give much better throttle response in the mid range and the sound is awesome! I think a cheap (as in inexpensive like the K&N) intake is an awesome "bang for your buck" mod. It cleans up the engine bay, gives you a little bump in power, and makes the car sound like it's eating souls at WOT.
Maybe I'm biased here because I'm a student of psychology, but I'll say it again as I said in my post...majority of performance modifications are mind over matter. You spent $200-$300 on a filter, so you want to feel justified in your purchase. Intakes do sound great at WOT, but from personal experience (even with a company like K&N) they do very little for performance gains. For a person that is going to spend around $10,000 on a forced induction modification, the LAST thing they should be doing is wasting money on an intake they're going to replace. Look at it from a financial standpoint...if he does anything it should be something like suspension that he can keep the same after FI
Old 10-25-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you have more time than money. Weight reduction.

Exhaust. It has looks, sound, performance, and will reduce the weight a little too.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go turbo dude
Old 10-25-2008, 10:05 AM

Boost it.
You cant get that kinda performance for that price without boost.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@FI, a good setup is just so expensive though, and honestly, I probably could wait awhile for one since this car is just my daily driver and I don't do autocross or any other type of organized racing (yet).

@gears, might do that eventually but its not at the top of my list.

@intake+exhaust, as some of you guys said there really isn't much performance gain for it, and I don't really care what the car sounds like (as long as it runs good), so its not a top priority.

@suspension, a good set of springs sounds like it will definitely be my next mod (other than window tint). I just need to figure out how much of a drop I want etc.

Like I said, I'll eventually end up doing all of these things, I'm just trying to decide what to do first basically...

[QUOTE=Supra-holic,Oct 25 2008, 09:31 AM]Since you have more time than money.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what you are talking about you won't see any performance improvements from an exhaust and intake.., I'm living son. There is definitely a difference and it is not perceived to justify my purchase. And it isn't all that expensive. I think my total package was around $1,300.00 installed, and it is a noticeable improvement.

And thanks for the breaks correction..., I fixed it.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN,Oct 25 2008, 12:23 PM
@FI, a good setup is just so expensive though, and honestly, I probably could wait awhile for one since this car is just my daily driver and I don't do autocross or any other type of organized racing (yet).

@gears, might do that eventually but its not at the top of my list.

@intake+exhaust, as some of you guys said there really isn't much performance gain for it, and I don't really care what the car sounds like (as long as it runs good), so its not a top priority.

@suspension, a good set of springs sounds like it will definitely be my next mod (other than window tint). I just need to figure out how much of a drop I want etc.

Like I said, I'll eventually end up doing all of these things, I'm just trying to decide what to do first basically...

This isn't a track car. This is my daily driver. I don't even do autocross or anything (yet). So weight reduction is pointless right now.

I've actually been really wanting to do something like this. Any idea how much such a class would cost? Don't suppose you'd know any close to me (Gainesville, Florida)?
What is the point of asking for advice if you are just going to turn everything down. You are asking for advice as a brand new owner about "what are the best mods to invest in that will most add to the appearance and/or performance." First off, appearance is completely subjective, so it is irrelavent. Secondly, the performance aspect. People are giving you great ideas about plans of attack and your rebutle is that nothing is really worth the money, and that your car is a daily driver. It sounds like the best thing to do would be to leave your car stock and just enjoy it.
If you are very serious about doing forced induction, and you are balling on a budget like most of us college students, start saving those nickels and dimes.
Personally, the best mod I have done to my car for the price would be a countersunk knob and a testpipe. Both of these are less then 100 a each if you are froogal and look in the classified sections, and are the most functional. Good luck
Old 10-25-2008, 11:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=lkingcuongl,Oct 25 2008, 10:44 PM] What is the point of asking for advice if you are just going to turn everything down. You are asking for advice as a brand new owner about "what are the best mods to invest in that will most add to the appearance and/or performance." First off, appearance is completely subjective, so it is irrelavent. Secondly, the performance aspect. People are giving you great ideas about plans of attack and your rebutle is that nothing is really worth the money, and that your car is a daily driver. It sounds like the best thing to do would be to leave your car stock and just enjoy it.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN,Oct 25 2008, 04:23 PM
I've actually been really wanting to do something like this. Any idea how much such a class would cost? Don't suppose you'd know any close to me (Gainesville, Florida)?
Check out your local PCA (Porsche Club of America), they have whats called Driver's education and its a great way to get introduced to the track.

I did one two months ago at Roebling Rd and it was $225 for two days. I had 5 sessions the first day and 4 the next day, for 9 sessions, it was totally worth it.

Link to pictures

Link to DE
Old 10-26-2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN,Oct 24 2008, 10:41 PM
I want to do exhaust and intake, but they don't really do much performance or looks wise so I think they can wait... Am I wrong?
What are you trying to do then? Rice it out?

Look, man, the S2000 already looks exceptionally good. In fact, even the MY00 can look brand new when washed and waxed, so there's no point in wasting whatever money you have to spend on a pointless body kit. That can wait until after you've graduated and are making a steady income.
I'd suggest that since you're actually trying to make your car faster, just go for the intake and exhaust. Later, try to get the stock brake pads replaced and most likely drop the car about an inch or two.
My S2000 is completely stock right now, but I plan on keeping it that way for a little while. I'd prefer keeping my car looking stock and making it faster than keeping it at stock speed and making it look riced out.

Quick Reply: Best mods?