S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Best mods?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best mods?

Well like some of you out there I am a "starving college student".

I just got my car a few months back and can't wait to modify the car a lot.

Problem of course is money.

Anyways, basically I'm wonder what are the best mods to invest in that will most add to the appearance and/or performance.

I tried to do this on my own, but I don't have as much knowledge as some of you, so I figured you guys could help.

Basically right now everything is stock. I have already purchased a set of rims/tires (SSR GT1s) as it seemed to me this was the #1 thing that would add to the car relative to the cost.

Ugh, this is just so hard, I want put a body kit on, go FI, get an intake and exhaust, etc but I know I can't do it all at once and some things (FI) are obviously going to take longer to save up for than others.

So yeah, give me some guidance here please.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhaust and Intake, then suspension and brakes.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by DDonovan,Oct 24 2008, 10:36 PM
Exhaust and Intake, then suspension and breaks.
I want to do exhaust and intake, but they don't really do much performance or looks wise so I think they can wait... Am I wrong?

I REALLY want to get a BBK, but they are crazy expensive. Everytime the thought even crosses my mind I just keep thinking that if I'm going to save for that long I might as well just go all out and save up for a turbo/s.c.

@suspension, yeah I was thinking this would be the next thing I'm going to do, since its not too expensive and adds a lot to the car, I just need to figure out what I want as I don't really want to mess around with rolling my fenders.

Actually a good tint will likely be next, but thats not much of a mod. But it will look good on my Berlina...
Old 10-24-2008, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stickers, you can never go wrong with lots and lots of stickers.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:50 PM

As for performance, it depends. K&N say that it adds almost 10hp. The Exhaust can add another 5-15 depending on many variables. The intake improves overall throttle response. I have to say that I notice the difference.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:30 PM

Um. How about you keep your money. In the debate over feeding myself and keeping a roof over my head vs. pimping out the S, usually my survival comes first.

BBK should be one of the last mods you do. Are you running so much power that you have out performed the stock brakes? Doubtful. Do you drive with such skill that you need the extra braking performance? Doubtful. Stock brakes with the appropriate pads has proven to be more than sufficient for the S, even for track days.

I think the best bang for the Buck is Grippier tires. Better performing tires allow everything else (brakes, suspension) to work better.

But feed yourself, it's kinda important.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by rioyellows2k,Oct 24 2008, 11:30 PM
Um. How about you keep your money. In the debate over feeding myself and keeping a roof over my head vs. pimping out the S, usually my survival comes first.
Lol I was half joking with the "starving college student" thing.

I have a separate account for money, rent, school etc.

That just leaves me with very little spending money. But all the essentials are met, just not much left over after that...
Old 10-24-2008, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by rioyellows2k,Oct 24 2008, 09:30 PM
I don't think he was asking for financial advise, besides, not everyone is getting financially raped right now...

Suspension, wheels, gears, i/e/h
Old 10-25-2008, 02:53 AM

I hate it when people dont answer the question that is asked but (over)analyze every little thing that was said on a post. And if there isn't enough info people always ask "whats your reasoning?" Just give him his answer. I was about to ask the same thing.

By the way in my opinion exhaust adds alot of looks! Alot of people get dual exhausts on the S2k for the looks (not to mention the sexy sound). So yeah I mean I'd say get Exhaust because that tends to be something I look at often when I check out other peoples cars. :] Body kits cost alot.. not to mention most replicas dont fit so you have to modify stuff to make it fit nicely and not to mention painting the kits. Carbon Fiber hoods always add a little spice to the car. I also love debadged S2ks I'm debating if I should do it or not once I get my S2k.

But regardless what you do Good luck I hope my suggestions helped or gave you some ideas.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The modifications you've mentioned will take lots of time and money, as I hope you know. Best bang for buck? You won't gain much performance-wise from an intake or exhaust, no matter what their ads will tell you. What I tell most new-comers looking to modify their car is, most performance modifications are mind over matter.

Honestly, I would upgrade your suspension...can't go wrong with that. Depending on how many miles are on your car, you might want to get aftermarket shocks (which raises the price tag) but a simple set of coil springs from a reputable brand (Tein, Eibach, Espelir, etc.) will take care of that ugly wheel gap and give you a little edge around the turns.

Whatever you do, don't get an intake...if you plan to go FI you'll just have to replace it anyway. If you do decide to get an exhaust system in the near future, get something less restrictive...most likely a single just because the air will flow better which you'll need with you're FI. Don't go with a highly resonated dual system if you're planning to go FI...you will regret it.

Matt

Quick Reply: Best mods?