S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

best gasoline to use?

Old 09-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default best gasoline to use?

I always read on these forums about what oils to use but not alot of reading about what gas to use i know im suppose to use 93 octane but i was wondering what fuel was the best for our cars? Bp, exxon, sunoco, shell etc...i try to use bp or shell and average about 250 to the tank....ive only owned the car for 6 months is that good 250 per tank...last tank i got 280!
Old 09-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with suggesting a "brand" of gas to use is in many parts of the country there is one supplier of gas to all the different stations nearby. The difference then is only in the amount of additives that are put in.

I run Shell myself just because I've never had a bad tank of gas from them and the car runs very smooth. In addition, I have a custom tune on my car and it was tuned running Shell 93 so I like to keep it consistent (even if there's not much of a difference at all...probably more psychological really).

For what it's worth here is some info on levels of detergent added. Their sample showed that Shell was at the top for premium grade:

http://www.standard.net/topics/busin...es-gas-quality

Of course this is only one piece of information and only one sample so I'm not claiming it as enough evidence to support one brand over another. At the end of the day it probably doesn't make much of a difference at all. If you see a local station on the news for having bad gas then obviously you'd want to avoid them at that point. Recently the BP down the road from my friend's house was in that situation so they don't stop there anymore.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guilty of putting valero 93 in my s alot. I know Valeros gas is crap but there's one right at the corner when leaving my sub. And theres a shell right down the road but I'm too lazy, I know I know
Old 09-07-2012, 04:17 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

shell and chevron for me
Old 09-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i try to use BP whenever i can
Old 09-07-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW I used to own a 2007 Boxster and if I remember correctly, there was either a TSB or it was written in the manual that Porsche preferred Shell gasoline.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:54 PM

The previous owner of my '01 was a fan of cheap gas. After I bought the car I had CELs for misfires. It ended up that the fuel injectors were all fouled up and I had to replace them. My mechanic, who I would never want to leave, recommended Shell and BP as a back-up due to the detergent properties of their fuels. I only use another brand if I have to.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 PM

94 octane because I love my car too much to not spoil her
Old 09-07-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had any problems with Valero. I always love Shell gas but its way too expensive. The only gas I would not buy, are the cheap gas stations that are run down and walmart gas.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

when I bought my S at a local dealer, their service rep spoke to us as new Honda owners one welcoming New Owner's night. He recommended Chevron, because of their Techron additive. All of our gasoline comes through one distributor in town in the Phoenix, AZ metro area, with various additives made along the way, with deliveries to every gas station around.

Costco near me started a new program with 5 times the detergent cleaners as the EPA recommends. I've been running the Costco 91 octane and haven't noticed any problems. When I 'm not near my local Costco, I choose Chevron over other choices, then Shell if Chevron is not around.

I have moral objections to Exxon/Mobile and to BP, so if given a choice, I will not use their fuel.

Quick Reply: best gasoline to use?