S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Berlina Black or Sebring Silver - Pros and Cons

Old 05-13-2002, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Berlina Black or Sebring Silver - Pros and Cons

I'm trying to decide between Berlina Black or Sebring Silver. Anyone have any positive or negative experiences?
Old 05-13-2002, 07:27 AM

Black

+ Black looks drop dead gorgeous when clean!!!!!
- Difficult to clean

Silver

+ Can see the lines better
- Too common
Old 05-13-2002, 07:34 AM

How is the paint quality on your Black S2000?
Old 05-13-2002, 07:35 AM

This is what I got one week ago:

I've noticed that this car gets very dusty. I don't know if it's because it's so much closer to the ground or what. I have other silver vehicles that don't attract the dust as much like this one.

A black car would drive me crazy, but they do look GORGEOUS when clean!

More pics in my sig. below.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:25 AM

To keep black looking it's best,I wash mine twice a week ...one weekend day w/soap...and just a rinse on Wednesdays.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:26 AM

I loved my Black Prelude...beautiful when I bought it new and for about a MONTH after Black is just too high-maintenance! Trust me I was trying to keep it as clean as possible...weekly wash and wax etc. etc. But in the end you can see every single spec on your car (esp. at the leading edge). Add the problems of these darn love bugs smashing into your car...these bugs are almost like the acid-spewing aliens...their bodily fluid will definitely penetrate your paint and black paint doesn't help! Don't get me wrong though, I love the color but after 2 and half years of black, I glad my S is Sebring Silver! And I don't think it's such a common color either...at least where I live, majority of S2000s are Spa Yellow. Just my 2 cents .
Old 05-13-2002, 09:46 AM

I went through the same thing with my black Accord coupe. It came from the dealer with the gold trim crap, and it looked great for about a month. By the time I turned it in, the gold crap had started to oxidize (or something), and the black looked worn even after washing.

I had a silver Accord before that one that looked pretty good right up until it fell apart at 300,000 miles. I liked the "dark" silver of last year's S2000, but I think the current version (which I have) will "wear" better.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:00 AM

Same dilemma when I bought mine.
Ultimately, I just thought that they were 2 distinct looks for the car. The silver looks great, but IMHO it looks more docile than the black (i.e. "cuter" and classier). The black just seems to bring out the sports car look of the s2k more. I know it's all in my imagination, but hey, that's what counts when it's you droppin' the cash. As for the "difficult to maintain" issue, to be frank, read the posts on this board in the "Wash and Wax" section and you'll find that many owners (including me) spend a lot of time pampering their car no matter which color they get
Old 05-13-2002, 10:07 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

After detailing three black cars this weekend at 5 hours apiece I think anyone who buys a balck car is nuts. I finished my father-in-laws BMW and I looked at My Sebring S sitting 15 feet away and though 'Wow my car looks great and I know it's filthy'. I spent about 5 hours on his BMW,5 on my wife's triple black Mustang and over 5 on my mother-in-law's Jeep and while they al looked great for about 15 minutes before the pollen covered them they are way to high maintenance fro me
Old 05-13-2002, 10:08 AM

I agree that Black looks "aggressive." For instance, look at the Mugen S2000 featured in Kingmotorsports.com. It may be just me but I just can't imagine that car being Sebring Silver...or if it was it just wouldn't be the same. But any way you slice it, the bottomline is Black take a lot of effort to keep it looking nice!

Quick Reply: Berlina Black or Sebring Silver - Pros and Cons