S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Bean bag mounts for GPS?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bean bag mounts for GPS?

have any of you with gps's tried using those bean bag mounts for you gps?

something like this: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDeta...CT&cm_keycode=4

if you do, is it a good solution? does it slide around during 'normal' driving?
Old 06-06-2008, 08:36 AM

such an ugly mount. check your state laws to see if you can suction mount
Old 06-06-2008, 08:43 AM

in california, we can't use a windshield mount and i dont want to put something permanent on the dashboard...
Old 06-06-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mgs333,Jun 6 2008, 08:43 AM
in california, we can't use a windshield mount and i dont want to put something permanent on the dashboard...
It's sort of a grey area actually. I just put one in my car at the top, to the left of my mirror, so it blocks the portion of my rear view that is my head and the driver roll hoop. No cops have pulled me over yet, though I've seen some checking it out. Had a motocop actually pull out behind me from his hiding spot and follow me for a bit; maybe he was just going somewhere, maybe not.

The cvc says specifically "obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield."

There's another cvc for tint across the top of your windscreen. That says, the material is allowed from:
"(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above
the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in
front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its
rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface."

Since the 29 inchs off the seat is hard to measure, most cops like to say 4-6 inchs from the top of the windshield is fine.

Then it turns into a spirit of the law game and personal interpretation on your part and the cop.

Around here, most cops view it as a GPS that blocks the top 4-6 inchs of the windshield and does not affect your view of the streets is acceptable since you could tint that area anyways. They're mainly concerned with you creating a blind spot with the GPS.

I'm sort of playing with this rule, as most GPS units on the S will block a little more than 6 inches if you're projecting onto the windshield, as in the area hidden behind the mount when looking from the driver's seat. However, for my setup, I can still see everything in front of me, in my opinion. I can't see the heads of pedestrians who are right behind the GPS mount, but I see their bodies and then it's a cop's judgement call.

It's just a fix-it ticket anyways. Good luck. And beanbag mounts work fine generally speaking, but if you drive spiritly in the hills, they won't hold.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:22 AM

http://www.modifry.com/products/mounts/mdb.htm
Old 06-06-2008, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just use modifry's mounting bracket. Not permanent, looks clean, and you can use it for anything you want to mount on there.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Tom Tom One S and the modifry's mount - going to mount the mount this weekend. I'll also use it for my new i-touch so it will be quick disconnect for both units.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by mgs333,Jun 6 2008, 08:43 AM
My God; do you guys have any leeway on anything??? I swear ill never move out there.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by REVHIR,Jun 6 2008, 01:33 PM
My God; do you guys have any leeway on anything??? I swear ill never move out there.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:25 PM

there's no way the bean bag will stay put if ur in the hard twisties

Quick Reply: Bean bag mounts for GPS?