S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is it bad to press in the clutch and leave it..

Old 06-09-2006, 02:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it bad to press in the clutch and leave it..

I like knowing the fact that I can immediately accelerate off the line when the light turns green, instead of having to engage the clutch and shift into 1st when the light is already green.

And being that there are a lot of impatient a$$hole drivers here in LA, it's not surprising that people will honk at you when all you're trying to do is take 2 seconds to shift into 1st. Which is why when I'm first in line at the stoplight, I usually just depress the clutch pedal and leave it in 1st to avoid any unnecessary drama. But the thing is, I'm concerned if this will affect the longevity of my clutch (or any other parts associated with the transmission). Will this put on wear on the tranny?

When I'm driving the CRV, I don't ever find this stoplight thing a problem because the car naturally sits so high hence allowing me to anticipate the stoplight signals by viewing the cross-traffic lights. But with the S, I'm usually unable to view the cross-traffic lights because the car sits so low so I have to be attentive all the time.

How do you guys deal with being first in line at the stoplight?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it depends on who you talk to. I've heard there's no real proof of it being bad for the tranny, but some people say pushing the clutch in puts wear and tear on the throwout bearing. You can take that for what its worth.

Personally, I leave the car in neutral when at a stop light. I drive an RSX so i can see the light for other traffic and throw it into 1st just before my light turns green.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

When you are not moving, clutch in, the transmission isn't turning => no wear.
The throwout bearing is under load during ^^ situation.
As NCState mentioned : take that for what its worth.

Don't you have the orange light with the red to show green is coming?
Like they have in the UK? Very handy
We do not have that overhere.
When I know its going to take a while before I get green I put in in neutral.
And if I'm caught by surprice by the green light..
What's 2 seconds in a human life
Old 06-09-2006, 03:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually put it in 1st with the clutch in once I think the light's getting ready to change. I know the lights on my daily commute, so I can time them easily enough.

We don't have the red/orange ---> green that they have in the UK. That's a great system. I don't know why other countries don't use it.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Do what works for you. I don't believe this whole thing about wearing out the TO bearing. The bearing is going to be either under a lot of tension or under a lot MORE tension, but it will always be under some kind of tension anyway. IMO, the difference is not overwhelming. The only thing is that if you put it into neutral, you spin the tranny and in doing so you work the little mechanical fluid pump and keep some circulation going to continue to remove heat buildup. This may be useful if you've just excercised the car before you came to a stop but not critical.
I'll put it in neutral at a stop light if it's a "fresh" RED and if I want to rest my clutch foot. Sometimes I'll just sit there through the whole red light with my foot on the clutch. When it comes time for a clutch job, I'll change the TO bearing NOT because it needs it but because it's just there and easy to do. I'll wear out my clutch disc long before I wear out my TO bearing.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:45 AM

Whew! I thought I was the only person that holds down the clutch for red lights. Drivers in Chicago are jackasses, they expect you to move the millisecond the light turns green or they lean on their horns.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Xviper pretty much summed up what I was going to say. Do whatever you want essentially. The wear on the tranny due to it spinning while idling will be nominal. Sitting with the clutch out may wear the TO bearing faster, but it should/can easily be changed with the clutch anyway so this little bit of wear will be negated
Old 06-09-2006, 09:42 AM

the throw out bearing is always spinning if the engine is spinning, I would think it would soften up the pressure plate springs a little more (metal softens the more you bend it) like springs on an old cadillac, they started out firm and wore soft over 20 years.

will it be enough to damage anything? hmmm probably not. It will kill your leg muscle more than anything.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:23 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Fwiw, I think its a bad idea to sit a couple feet behind another car with the gear in and only my foot on the clutch to keep the car from lurching. Not sure how much room you leave in front of you, but I say screw the jerk behind you, leave the clutch engaged and the car out of gear until you're ready to move. You're in traffic, so you're obviously not going anywhere fast, and neither is the idiot behind you.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chairmnofthboard,Jun 9 2006, 01:42 PM
... I would think it would soften up the pressure plate springs a little more (metal softens the more you bend it) like springs on an old cadillac ...
The real reason why I don't depress the clutch while waiting at a light is just because I want to give my left foot a break

Quick Reply: Is it bad to press in the clutch and leave it..