S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Bad Dealers or True Abuse?

Old 04-25-2003, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Dealers or True Abuse?

I am just about to buy an S2000. I think they are the greatest skate board ever built. I have a smile from ear to ear even at idle.

But, there is one last thing that is holding me back: the apparent lack of support from Honda dealers. I've seen so many posts complain about dealers refusing to do work under warranty claiming that items broke from abuse. Is this really legitimate? I've seen quite a few S2000 drivers driving, and I think there are overly aggressive S2000 drivers out there who are abusing the cars and don't know how to use a clutch. Just because someone buys a hot car and knows how to slam the gas pedal to the floor or isn't afraid to go into a corner too fast, doesn't mean he or she knows how to use a clutch or car properly. Everyone should know that a clutch can go from grippy to burnt and glazed in seconds flat. But, if this dealer response is common for all sorts of problems, I might go with a Boxster.

I live in the Thousand Oaks, California area. One S2000 owner I know has terrible things to say about the Thousand Oaks Honda dealer. He actually goes all the way to Orange County to get work done on his. Does anyone have good or bad things to say about the other Honda dealers in the area (Simi Valley, Ventura, Woodland Hills, or TO)?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 04-25-2003, 08:48 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Jay,

I know nothing about your dealers.

There are many reported incidents of engine damage. Owners claim an "unexpected" failure. Honda claims the cars were overreved or had insufficient oil. In many cases the owner and dealer were able to come to terms acceptable to both when the failure occurred during the warranty period.

Others will probably respond and take sides for and against Honda. I'm not sure that is constructive, especially since the subject has been discussed many times already and you could find several threads using the search function.

One problem with the number 4 cylinder was addressed when Honda redesigned the cylinder oil jets, so that is not as much of a problem in a new S. The clutch was also redesigned to address a clutch noise problem. Further, there were improvements made to the transmission to address a shifting problem. In sum, the problems that the cars had in the earlier years were addressed if not eliminated. But none of these things protect against ovverreving or low oil. Further, I don't think anyone can prove the F20c engine is just as reliable as a Honda Civic's engine. Frankly, I wouldn't expect it to be.

If you buy the S, read and follow the owners manual regarding break in and maintenance and really learn your car's shifter's feel before you start driving aggressively. Keeping the car full of oil and knowing the difference between shifting up to 6th rather than down to 4th will make a lot of difference.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old 04-25-2003, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll see a general lack of understanding at Honda dealers. This is the only real performance car on their lot and they don't sell or work on enough of them. They also see the S2000 buyer as a walking wallet because it is one of the most expensive things they sell. There are enough "real" issues that you should buy with your eyes open and know all the TSB's so you can push your dealer when you have to. I've had no really bad issues with Buena Park Honda but I've got less than a year left on my warranty and I'll be asking for ANOTHER 1-2 grind fix. So then I'll see what happens when the chips are down.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I think that you will find that among any group of owners there is always a number of people who are dissatisfied with the dealer service. I think you will find this to be true regardless of brand.

In general I don't think that Honda service is any better or worse then any other brand. I do think those who are dissatisfied tend to be more vocal.

I think you should buy the car, not the service.