S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

back from the body shop and not very thrilled

Old 06-06-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile back from the body shop and not very thrilled

hey everyone - its been a while. i had a mishap (rear end collision) with my S back in March and recently got it back from the body shop. at first glance, the work was unbelievable. great paint matching and the section that was damaged is flawless (rear + passenger quarter). aside from minor misalignments (trunk lid was a little off, clip behind ragtop wasn't seated flush), which were fixed, everything seemed a-ok.

http://www.voidware.net/staff/ken/pics/honda/S/

upon second glance i found some bigger problems. the drivers side quarter sustained a buckle over the wheel well from the intertia caused by the impact on the opposite side - and was supposedly repaired. well, they repaired it, but the buckle shifted to the seam near the bumper cover:

bad: http://www.voidware.net/staff/ken/pics/hon...gs/P1010043.jpg

good: http://www.voidware.net/staff/ken/pics/hon...gs/P1010038.jpg

the blemish is very visible under overhead lighting (garage light, and in afternoon sunlight). ive been to the body shop twice for this, both in the morning... morning light = no overhead light source so they have problems seeing what i see in my garage. they gave me the run around telling me that they would need to strip down that quarter and repaint, which they said they want to avoid since the paint is diffcult to match, yada yada. the manager even when so far as to try and spook me by saying he may damage the car further (im thinking to myself, "well then you'll just fix it won't you"). i also got the infamous "these things are normal" line. its not like its inconsistent spacing between body panels...its a buckle in the metal.

another unsettling thing i discovered is that the manager's "eyesight isn't very good". this is coming from his office manager and appraiser... son of a bitch, a blind man has been overseeing my repairs.

well, i go home pissed and begin to draft up a letter to fax to the shop and my adjuster stressing my concern of everything. i take a break and decide to go into my garage. i make my way over to the passenger side (which i rarely do) to get something from behind the seat and what do i see on my door and fender:

http://www.voidware.net/staff/ken/pics/hon...gs/P1010041.jpg

son of a bitch! the photo doesn't do the scaling justice...theres much more of it in that area...you can feel the cracks. i decide to check over the repainted areas VERY closely and i find another problem. the paint around the center brake light is curling like they mounted the light before the paint had time to cure. rush job. im fuming. they had the car almost 3 months, there is no reason for this.

bottom line. i want everything fixed. i want the drivers quarter to look exactly like the passenger side and the paint redone. is this asking too much? has anyone had a similar experience? this is supposedly one of the best shops in Houston and was recommended by my Honda dealer.

i hated the downtime, and now im getting ready for more.

-jason
Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 PM

YOU pay for your insurance so make it work for YOU...with that said bring it back to the body shop and make sure everything is corrected....
Old 06-06-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Thats a piss poor job, there is no excuse for that, Ive seen shops rush cars and do much better work than that. Go get it redone.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 04RioS2k,Jun 6 2006, 08:51 PM
YOU pay for your insurance so make it work for YOU...with that said bring it back to the body shop and make sure everything is corrected....
Darn right. Make the insurance agent deal with the shop. They've got to earn their money every once in a while.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man they really screwed up. to them. I hope you get it fixed properly though.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yep, bring up a stink until you get what u deserve.....
Old 06-07-2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by 04RioS2k,Jun 6 2006, 10:51 PM
Amen to that. Who is your insurance company?

Stay in their faces about this and don't loose your cool.

If it gets ugly enough, talk to a lawyer.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:36 AM

Make sure they give you a rental car while your car is in the shop to. By the way, what is the name of the shop? I
Old 06-07-2006, 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=bkmagby,Jun 7 2006, 07:36 AM] Make sure they give you a rental car while your car is in the shop to. By the way, what is the name of the shop? I
Old 06-07-2006, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by geists2k,Jun 7 2006, 06:39 AM
Amen to that. Who is your insurance company?

Stay in their faces about this and don't loose your cool.

If it gets ugly enough, talk to a lawyer.
State Farm is my carrier.

I've been pretty civil through this whole thing and it doesn't seem like the owner is taking me seriously. He may think I'm younger than I really am (29 but I look 21) which pisses me off to no end. Time to switch gears.

Quick Reply: back from the body shop and not very thrilled