S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

average price to paint the S

Old 11-30-2007, 10:18 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default average price to paint the S

just wondering if those of you that have been repainted could toss out here what it cost you,......not hooked up prices from the "homies" cuz i dont have friends in the business.
also if you could say if it was a complete color change where interior and engine was pulled or if it was just a strip and paint stock color again.
just trying to get an idea of prices so i have something to think about at work tomorrow
Old 11-30-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't give you that because I've done it piece-meal over the past 6 months.

Added-up for the paint, the total cost for my car to be repainted black (same as original, AMAZING job) was about $3700. That is tacked on to other repairs as well, so I realize it might be that "homies" price you were talking about, but it was standard bodyshop hours and materials prices.

As little as our cars are, there is a decent amount of surface to paint. The prep is where the big money is, especially with all the little nooks and crannies. Do a search for the green S2000 and you might find some more info, I can't remember. I just know he repainted his car fully.

If I were you with the damage you have already, I wouldn't think about a full repaint, I'd think about talking to your shop and making a deal to pretty much "do what it takes" to make it seem new. You might be surprised what a high quality touch-up on the front-end paint chips and nicks here and there will do.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:51 PM

well what i was looking at was just getting my new bumper before it goes in so they would have to paint that,...then i was told they would have to fade it onto the fenders and the hood so the front didnt look brand spankin new next to a chipped hood and fenders. so if they did that, there is really only the trunk and a rear fender and door to do still. maybe i can get luck and for another 1500 have them do it all............
Old 11-30-2007, 11:09 PM

You might be able to!

But in terms of value, are those really areas where you're finding the paint doesn't look good? It's really usually the forward-facing surfaces that take the brunt of the wear.

If they fade your doors nicely you really aren't going to notice any difference front to back on the car. After a good polish I'd challenge you to see the difference from the newly painted to the original paint. Especially on a 4 year old car like yours.

Mine's black as well so I'm SUPER sensitive to color differences. Because of the 2 opposing-side fender dings I got repaired with a fade into the doors, followed by quarter panel replacement painting back up to the front of the doors where it was painted, I looked with all kinds of light for different types to find a color difference. I just couldn't.

If I were in your shoes I would fix the parts that need to be on the front end, get the fade done by a shop that does very good work, and then once the paint has completely set spend a little money to get the whole car professionally claybarred, polished, and waxed and you'll feel like you have a new machine. You'll also have an extra 1200-1300 or so in your pocket.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:17 PM

i guess i am just a little skeptical of how well the shops can do the fade. i dont have any reason to believe they cant do it perfect, im just scared they wont.
i looked into a professional detail recommended to me by the exotic car dealer here in my town/city. i pulled up and the guy was doing a carrera GT and he said my car would look better than the day it came out of the paint booth the first time. hopefully is right.
we will see what happens when i go talk to the shop again. thanks for the input.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 PM

im shopping around for prices for a paint job for my other car and from my experience decent jobs from decent shops start around $3000 if you let them do the prep. if you do the prep yourself you can save a decent amount, same thing if you somehow find a hookup.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:17 PM

I full take down and repaint of the outside of the car will cost a minimum of 2K if done even remotely correctly.

A correctly done color change paint job will be in the neighborhood of 5k