S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Attempted the differential fluid change. and failed. Please advise.

Old 11-27-2003, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempted the differential fluid change. and failed. Please advise.

Ok I got the drain plug out and drained it. but the stupid fill hole nut would not budge.. I didn't have a 23mm wrench, so what I did was use a 1/2" 23MM socket, and secure the socket with a vise grip and turn the whole thing. The socket turns all right, but the fill hole bolt isn't moving. Which means the bolt is getting STRIPPED.

The visegrip would keep slipping on the 23MM socket, so I used dremel and grounded 2 flat spots on the socket so the visegrip would bite tightly. It worked and the visegrip isn't slipping anymore, but now the fill-hole bolt is starting to get stripped I'm afraid.

I'm gonna get a regular 23MM wrench tomorrow and try again. PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE before I get started tomorrow. Thank you.

and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! GOD BLESS USA!! PROUD TO BE A KOREAN AMERICAN !!
Old 11-27-2003, 07:54 PM

you have to *POP* it free. don't turn slowly, POP! to break it loose. (I haven't done this myself yet, but it's what I've read. I'm doing mine this weekend)
Old 11-27-2003, 07:55 PM

Try spraying the bolt with WD40.
And try it again tomorrow morning.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:56 PM

hokiemax, I haven't changed my S yet but lots of other trannys and diffs. I'd say you're on the right track about getting the 23mm wrench. Get the longest one you can. Put on some gloves, get the wrench square on the head and apply a hard jerk to it. The jerk as opposed to steady pressure helps break it loose. If that doesn't work, you can try rapping the end of the wrench with a light hammer blow. Hate to ask it but you were turning it the right way, counterclockwise?

Two important lessons, remove the fill hole first, just in case, and make sure you've got all the right tools before starting.

EDIT. When you get that wrench, make sure one end is closed, get one like is pictured in xviper's writeup. It looks like it needs a slight offset also but I'm not sure from the pic. Look at the pic and you'll see what I'm talking about.

wrench pic for fill plug

You haven't failed, you're just not done yet.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:56 PM

Hokiemax,
Sorry to hear about your difficulty with the "Diff. Fluid Change". When you go to pick up the new socket
buy a can of 'Liquid Wrench", this stuff really works.
David
Old 11-27-2003, 08:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Using a socket is not as good. I think the "grabbing" points (can't think of the correct word) of a socket is too inset. Also, trying to grip it with vise grips won't hold well. A closed end wrench of the correct size is the best way to go. That fill bolt head is quite shallow for a big bolt and the wrench (as opposed to the socket) will cover the head more to give it more bite.
As already stated, the biggest drawback is that bolt head is "glued" on there through metal to metal corrosion (or adhesion, if you will). You have to "SNAP" it lose right from the get go. You've just seen what happens when you try increasing force.
When it's time to replace the bolt, clean the washer well unless you plan to use a new one. Clean the bolt surfaces too. Use a little oil on the flat surfaces of the bolt and washer (not the threads) before putting it back on (for the next time).
You won't be able to torque the fill bolt, so get a feel for what it's like when you torque the drain bolt and tighten the fill one about the same. It doesn't need to be exact and it's not one that, if it came loose, would be catastrophic (you won't lose all the fluid).
Old 11-27-2003, 08:34 PM

I had the same problem you did. The fill hole was on so tight, it wouldn't budge. Rather than round-off the bolt, I "snapped" is loose, by putting the socket wrench on it and then hitting the socket with another wrench (or hammer).

There's not much room down there, but the hammer impact seemed to work pretty well.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:22 AM

Received 5,742 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I don't recall how much working room there is in there but the correct sized closed end wrench is a must. If you need a longer one for more leverage, one trick I like is slipping a couple feet of metal pipe over the end; this will give you lots of torque. And, if all else fails get a bigger hammer! Good luck.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:50 AM

Just a thought... Every time I have had a nut/bolt trying to get stripped it was because I was using a 12 point wrench/socket. I'm aware some of our nuts/bolts will require a 12 pointer but if it doesn't the best way to get a stuborn (sp?) nut/bolt is to use a 6 point wrench/socket.

Just a thought...

Regards...

BA...
Old 11-28-2003, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't offer anymore advice that what has already been given other than next time, take the fill bolt out before the drain bolt. That way, if you can't get it off you can still drive it.

Quick Reply: Attempted the differential fluid change. and failed. Please advise.