S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Attack of the HID lights

Old 05-21-2001, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man,

I'd love to see other drivers reactions to the HID lights, I may never get to see them though. In Alaska, there is either snow on the ground and roads (and the cars is "put to bed for the year") or you just don't need 'em, it won't get dark here for another 4 months!

Cheers -

19 + hours of daylight (and gaining)
Old 05-21-2001, 08:57 AM

I had 1st hand experience with a bouncing S2000 behind me at night last weekend. It was on i580 in Oakland, I saw this flashing light behind me and I knew it must be a S2000 (I was not driving mine at the time). I can understand how people can mistake it for a flashing high-beam because that is exactly how it looks.

I've also encountered BMW, Audi, Lexus, and MB with the HID lights, but none of them have this flashing problem.
Old 05-21-2001, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe the current self-levelers react fast enough to avoid bouncing lights on bumpy roads. I do believe it is possible but the darn things are expensive enough without adding servo-driven levelers.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:25 AM

I was behind my mother once when she was in her MB SUV, and she didn't know it was me. After we got home, she thought I had been flashing her with my brights, but it was just the lights bouncing...kinda annoying for other people, but nothing we can do about it.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:56 AM

My friend's C240's HIDs have a self levelling feature as well. In Europe, I think HID equipped cars are required to have a self levelling function built in.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:58 AM

I have noticed when I pull close many cars slow down.
Old 05-21-2001, 11:30 AM

When we did the New England / North East convoy down to Knoxville for S2KDays, at one point I was in the lead and everyone behind me was in a different lane - I was in the right lane, glen (g-s2k) was behind me, Frank was in the middle lane and Pinky was in the left lane. I kept getting blinded. I finally had to ask Pinky to move over a lane cause it was too distracting to see...

I feel bad approaching cars on bumpy roads. I try to drive with the high beams on when there are no cars around so when we see each other, they see me going from high beam setting (4 lights) to low beams (2 lights).

My Audi A6 has the self correcting HID's. They make a huge difference in the bouncing factor. But head on traffic still think I'm running with the high beams on...
Old 05-21-2001, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Type R 1090
In Europe, I think HID equipped cars are required to have a self levelling function built in.
OK, so far we have heard from North America and Australia about the bouncing HID lights. So what about anyone over in Europe or Japan? Do you have the "self leveling function" built into your S2000? Is this only a problem in North America/Australia or is this a world-wide problem with the S2000? Let's hear what is different about the cars in Europe and Japan.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John David
[B]I think the lexus ones have a self leveling feature in them. i believe this feature is for when going up or down a hill, the lights follow the road; however, the feature probably helps the flashing thing too. I dunno.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was examining a BMW with HIDs in front of a hotel one day. It stepped in front at typical "rear view" level to see how the glare was. It wasn't bad at all. Upon closer examination....it seemed that BMW has some kind of special screen on the lens cap that kind of cuts down the top glare. Take a look next time you see a BMW w/ HIDs!
I will take some digital pics next time I see one avail.

Quick Reply: Attack of the HID lights