S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Attack of the HID lights

Old 05-20-2001, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my first encounter with a pissed off driver thinking I was high-beaming him. I was about 50 yards behind him when I noticed his hand come out of the window for a moment. I thought he was flicking cigarette ashes and didn't think much of it. As I got closer to him and we both got on an on ramp, he shot his hand out the window again, this time flipping the bird. "Oh, that's what he was doing." The road I was on (277-John Belk Fwy for those Charlotte people) was bumpy as hell. There's nothing you can do to explain anything to these people. I thought about riding next to him and yelling, "It's my lights going over bumps! I wasn't flashing you!!" That would have been useless. I have never seen any other car with HID lights (BMWs, Lexus, etc) with the bouncing problem. I suppose we are the only car with factory HID lights with such a stiff suspension that reacts to the slightest bump.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:40 PM

I have had the car for 3 weeks now and I have had this happen to me twice!! I can see how people would think it's flashing lights, but come on, HID's have been out for a while now.. When are people gonna get it?
Old 05-20-2001, 04:59 PM

If you think the stock suspension makes the HIDs bounce... the Mugen coilovers set on the firmest settings make the beams dance all over the place like sparklers... (I lowered my aiming a bit).
Old 05-20-2001, 05:27 PM

I think the lexus ones have a self leveling feature in them. i believe this feature is for when going up or down a hill, the lights follow the road; however, the feature probably helps the flashing thing too. I dunno.
Old 05-20-2001, 05:33 PM

I've seen other cars do this too.
Old 05-20-2001, 05:39 PM

I live in a very rural area of FL. Lots of back roads through lightly populated areas. Not many street lights outside of town. I get high beamed quite a bit. I don't think these folks have ever seen anything quite like the headlights of an S2000 coming at them.
I was out a few weeks ago on a very deserted road about 11PM. No moon. really dark. I had a total of THREE cars over about a 20 mile stretch actually pull off the road when I approached them from behind. After I passed they continued on. Really strange. I have never seen our lights from that prespective. They must really look intimadating.

Don
Old 05-20-2001, 05:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Brett
I thought about riding next to him and yelling, "It's my lights going over bumps! I wasn't flashing you!!"
I've thought about this too, but I reckon the driver doesn't care what our excuse is, he just wants it to stop. Knowing that we've got HID's doesn't lessen the seizure inducing effect of HID's in the rear view mirror.
Old 05-20-2001, 06:27 PM

Don, they likely puller over because they probably thought you were a cop car!
Old 05-20-2001, 09:50 PM

Well it bounces because it uses projector light HID... if it was a holagon HID it won't bounce...
Old 05-20-2001, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I heard about that Lexus self-leveling thing, too. I think other cars are equipped w/ it too, but alas not on the S2K. Did I mention that I love how the HIDs look? They friggin' just light up the whole damn road! And I love how it's so concentrated that it makes a "line" in the road . . . my friend's projectors on his bimmer kinda just fade out in the distance . . .

Quick Reply: Attack of the HID lights