S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Apexi V-AFC Installed

Old 01-02-2001, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my V-AFC installed this weekend (first mod so far) and it works great and will eliminate the need for replacing the FPR. I lowered V-TEC engagement to 5100 RPM's without a problem and I actually went as low as 4700 RPM's but decided that was a little excessive since my car still is fairly new. I will have it dyno tuned this week and will see what happens. I highly recommend the V-AFC.
Old 01-02-2001, 06:00 AM

Please, keep us posted on how much you lower (or raise) fuel in regards to rpm with the dyno results.
Old 01-02-2001, 06:44 AM

Derryck, How strong did vtec feel at the new rpm kickin? Did you change a/f mixtures and any differences in the changes at high/low wot rpms? Thanks. I am intrigued by the V-AFC. I guess you'll know more after the dyno so keep us posted please!
Old 01-02-2001, 10:34 AM

The V-TEC transition is slightly more noticable at the lower RPM (I believe because the car is not as loud at that point) but is very much like the transition when stock. It takes a second or so to get going fully but then starts pulling hard by about 6000 RPM's. I am currently cutting back the fuel by 4% at WOT which correlates to about 43-44 PSI on a FPR.
Old 01-02-2001, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by derryck:
It takes a second or so to get going fully but then starts pulling hard by about 6000 RPM's.
This is the same problem we encountered with Fito's car. The engine does rev faster at the lower VTEC point but then it feels like it catches a second air at the original 6,000 rpm VTEC engagement point. Something is holding the car back from giving 100% maximum output between the new VTEC point and the stock one.

My guess is ignition timing is still set for pre-VTEC while you are actually in VTEC mode and then when you reach the stock point for VTEC engagement the car accelerates faster.

It would be nice if it could rev from the new point to redline whithout this slight problem.

On the fuel issue 43-44 PSI (WOT) is about were I got maximum WHP. Did you lower it across the whole rev range or just on the top end?
Old 01-02-2001, 11:12 AM

When I said it takes a second, I meant you could feel the lobes transitioning. From about 5300 RPM's and up the car is steadily pulling. I took the 4% fuel out across the board, it was bogging a little during the transition when it was set above -4%. Hopefully, I'll make it to the dyno this weekend and we can see what's happening.

[This message has been edited by derryck (edited January 02, 2001).]
Old 01-02-2001, 10:11 PM

derryck:
where did you mounted your v-afc?
Old 01-03-2001, 01:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by derryck:
[B]I had my V-AFC installed this weekend (first mod so far) and it works great and will eliminate the need for replacing the FPR.
Old 01-03-2001, 04:21 AM

I mounted the AFC w/ velcro on the front of the door located in front of the stereo. That way it's easily removable.

NA-1,
This is not a Prelude and why do you say you will lose power? I haven't dynoed it yet (hopefully this weekend) but I was getting faster according to the G-Tech. The V-AFC does more than the field V-Tec and interacts w/ the ECU better.
Old 01-03-2001, 05:26 AM

Actually both VTEC controllers interact with the ECU in the same way by fooling the MAP sensor signal for fuel, reading rpms and intercepting the VTEC solenoid valve signal.

The Apex has a more complete set of tools and "nicer" interface.

I do agree that lowering the engagement point too much will lower power at that specific rpm since the cams are always design with engine speed in mind.

Only dyno tuning will tell the whole story.

Quick Reply: Apexi V-AFC Installed