S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ap2's have 6-10% more hp from 1-8k

Old 06-09-2005, 08:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=HvRRZ,Jun 9 2005, 10:49 AM] true people do usually base everything on there own experience because they can believe that.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Jun 9 2005, 09:46 AM
as for the dyno, what I'd be REALLY interested to see is 3-4 dyno pulls from each car on the same dyno.

Dyno's by nature have as much as 3-5hp error. someone could easily do 1 pull on an ap1, get a somewhat "low" average, and then do a pull on an ap2 and get a "high" average.
I'm pretty sure it was the same dyno at the same time. I don't think the 2002 wanted to be marginalized by dyno errors either. We can check with the owner of the 2004, kitwetzler, he's a gold member, but selling his car...
Old 06-09-2005, 09:02 AM

[QUOTE=HvRRZ,Jun 9 2005, 05:43 AM] barelly huh. try a car and a half by the end of second and still pulling. both top down with me having a passenger. ya but thats just barelly huh, your right.

Ya if i saw me on the streets i would be scared to, especially since I have my "kill list", and have cars beat that have so much more hp then me, and yet make less to the same amount to the wheels and are heavier.

why do people get mad when somewhen says that the ap2 is a bit faster then the ap1. IT IS!!! plan and simple, not a big deal, one could beat the other depending on the race.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jun 9 2005, 10:57 AM
I'm pretty sure it was the same dyno at the same time. I don't think the 2002 wanted to be marginalized by dyno errors either. We can check with the owner of the 2004, kitwetzler, he's a gold member, but selling his car...
Well as I said, I'd like to see 3-4 dyno runs back to back. Because I gaurantee you'll get as much as a 5hp variance between all of the runs.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=TallyS2K,Jun 9 2005, 10:02 AM] I dont think anyone is mad that you are saying ap2 is faster then ap1...which may or may not be true.

I think people think you are an absolute retard for putting that kill list in your sig...even if it is true EVERYONE is aware that almost all the cars in your sig are faster then the S2K.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:09 AM

For any Math/Science students, this is actually a pretty simple Calculus problem. All you need to do is figure out what RPM the AP2 starts at after a shift and calculate the area under the curve between the starting RPM and redline. Then do the same calculation for the AP1 with its' starting RPM and redline. Subtract the area under the curve for AP1 from AP2's area. If the result is positive, that's how much of an advantage AP2 has.

With the dyno plot I have posted it's pretty easy to find a function for the AP2 curve. It's pretty much a linear slope. You will need to use two linear functions for the AP1 since it ends with a downslope. You will need to add the integral for each of the AP1 cuves to get its' area.

I'll do this later if no one else has time.

And of course this assumes we are working with an accurate, dyno with reproducable results... Big assumption but don't let that ruin the fun...
Old 06-09-2005, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Jun 9 2005, 10:04 AM
Well as I said, I'd like to see 3-4 dyno runs back to back. Because I gaurantee you'll get as much as a 5hp variance between all of the runs.
Hopefully we can get some info from Kit but, even if the AP2 is 5HP optimistic and the AP1 is 5HP pessimistic in that chart, the results are still impressive...
Old 06-09-2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Jun 9 2005, 10:04 AM
And the torque does look pretty much how you would expect it to...
Old 06-09-2005, 09:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Jun 9 2005, 09:57 AM
but then again, do we consider the removed clutch delay still stock? IMO no, considering it allows the person to shift faster than an otherwise stock ap2.

and i dont trust stories always (unless by credible people) and mag times are generilizations at best.

as for that 18hp difference, please read my explination on dynos and their error factors.
I agree that if the clutch delay has been taken care of then I also do not consider it stock. Any mode as far as increasing the cars acceleration would no longer make it stock. And some stories I do find hard to believe myself, as otherz would my stories.
I also agree with you about there being errors on dynos. But do the ap2's usually dyno higher numbers??
Old 06-09-2005, 09:26 AM

wisconsin's first post pretty much said all that needs to be said about this subject, which has been beaten to death over and over and over since the ap2 first came out. bottom line is the cars should be very close, close enough that it should be a driver's race either way. anybody with an AP2 that says they routinely smoke AP1's (or vice versa) is either a) full of shit, or b) has the good fortune of routinely finding some of the world's worst drivers. And again, as has been mentioned over and over here, both cars, with competent drivers behind the wheels, post very similar ET's and traps, so I dont see how anybody could say for sure that one is without a doubt faster than the other.

Quick Reply: ap2's have 6-10% more hp from 1-8k