S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ap2 vs ap1

Old 07-04-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vincesf,Jul 4 2007, 02:05 AM
Having owned a 2003, 2006 & 2007 S2000, plus a 2006 Porsche Boxster S, and a 2006 Lotus Elise, and a 2007 BMW 335i ... the AP1 vs. AP2 debate is really misleading and pointless. Car owners generally have a bias towards the car they own, as they should because many make a conscience decision as to the attributes they choose in their car, whether it is daily driving or racing characteristics they desire most or both. For instance, my Lotus Elise is incredible on the track, but is a terrible daily driver. The Porsche Boxster S is an incredible daily driver, but is really not a track car and will depreciate the full price of an S2000 in a 3-year period. As for the S2000, the 9k rpm advantage of the AP1 may be novel and represents to many the essence of the S2000's strength, but it also quite frankly points out an inherent weakness as compared to cars with tremendous low end grunt such as the BMW 335i, where VTEC-like power comes on at 1500 rpm's, making for a much wider power band. Comparing an AP1 to an AP2 is subtle and will always be subjective. When you start comparing the S2000 with an Elise, Boxster, or BMW, the differences are no longer subtle, and have been discussed on countless forum threads. In the end, the S2000 represents the best combination of value and performance on the market from when it was first introduced in AP1 form to today's AP2 iteration, an incredible achievement.
vincesf
How dare you introduce calm logic into this debate?

(Nice post)

Old 07-04-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after owning 2 AP1's and 2 AP2's....**insert drumroll please**

IMO both are equally as fun, but I would much rather have an 02 or 03....blam!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally some words of wisdom. The common stereotypes bother me. Just because I have a MY00 doesn't mean I can't afford an AP2. I am 19 years old, my parents haven't paid one penny towards my car, insurance, or any mods I have done. I pay rent, utilities, a cell phone bill, etc and still pay for my car. I have done over $4,000 in mods in 6 months of owning the car. I had my choice to buy a brand new 2006 S. I test drove it, and I didn't like it. Instead I opted to buy a MY00 with very low mileage, owned by an old lady.
VSA, DBW, CDV, a clock, soft suspension, glass window, and a decent sound system are nice features to have in a daily driver. They are completely unnecessary features to have in a bare bones roadster. The AP2 isn't any less of a car, it just appeals to a different market. If you want to have the modern day equivalent of a Shelby Cobra, buy an AP1, make it lighter and supercharge it. If you want something to drive back and forth to the office, buy an AP2.
Neither is better or worse, they each have their strong points and appeal to a different driving style. I'm sure plenty of us on the forum can afford a MY07, we choose to drive AP1s because they are more of a true sports car.

N20expresS2k - Yes, I have consistently seen AP2s dyno higher than AP1s. However, my friend has a MY00 that dynoed at 208whp bone stock on the same day and dyno where I put down 191whp bone stock.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by toofast4yalll,Jul 4 2007, 03:11 PM
If you want to have the modern day equivalent of a Shelby Cobra, buy an AP1, make it lighter and supercharge it. If you want something to drive back and forth to the office, buy an AP2.
Neither is better or worse, they each have their strong points and appeal to a different driving style. I'm sure plenty of us on the forum can afford a MY07, we choose to drive AP1s because they are more of a true sports car.
Wow... we gotta talk sometime brent....

Modern day Cobra?

Appeal to a different driving style? Whether I take my wife's Ap1, or my Ap2, I'm pretty sure my driving doesn't change...

Btw...I have a daily driver that I use to go back and forth to the office.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by toofast4yalll,Jul 4 2007, 02:11 PM
If you want to have the modern day equivalent of a Shelby Cobra, buy an AP1, make it lighter and supercharge it.
BLASPHEMY!
And in my view wrong. Really wrong. But I worship at the altar of the Shelby Cobra, so no amount of logic, if you can muster arguments, would convince me the design philosophies are remotely similar, or the performance, or the results, or the looks, or the nastiness, or the..........

Old 07-05-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by toofast4yalll,Jul 4 2007, 11:11 AM
Finally some words of wisdom. The common stereotypes bother me. Just because I have a MY00 doesn't mean I can't afford an AP2. I am 19 years old, my parents haven't paid one penny towards my car, insurance, or any mods I have done. I pay rent, utilities, a cell phone bill, etc and still pay for my car. I have done over $4,000 in mods in 6 months of owning the car. I had my choice to buy a brand new 2006 S. I test drove it, and I didn't like it. Instead I opted to buy a MY00 with very low mileage, owned by an old lady.
VSA, DBW, CDV, a clock, soft suspension, glass window, and a decent sound system are nice features to have in a daily driver. They are completely unnecessary features to have in a bare bones roadster. The AP2 isn't any less of a car, it just appeals to a different market. If you want to have the modern day equivalent of a Shelby Cobra, buy an AP1, make it lighter and supercharge it. If you want something to drive back and forth to the office, buy an AP2.

N20expresS2k - Yes, I have consistently seen AP2s dyno higher than AP1s. However, my friend has a MY00 that dynoed at 208whp bone stock on the same day and dyno where I put down 191whp bone stock.
um my o3 ap1 didnt feel anymore of a sports car than my 07ap2
Old 07-06-2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by cbehney,Jul 5 2007, 08:11 AM
BLASPHEMY!
And in my view wrong. Really wrong. But I worship at the altar of the Shelby Cobra, so no amount of logic, if you can muster arguments, would convince me the design philosophies are remotely similar, or the performance, or the results, or the looks, or the nastiness, or the..........
Old 07-24-2007, 06:01 AM

Hi everybody,
This is my first post, although I've been reading up on the S2000 here for quite some time. The search function didn't help me out really.

I would to get this thread going again, but with a slight change in direction. I don't own an S2000 yet, but I have test driven both an AP1 and AP2.
I liked both cars, maybe for different reasons: the pure driving experience in the AP1 and the more powerful engine in the AP2 (which in Europe is still a 2-litre engine, but definitely with more power).

My question is now wether or not aftermarket parts are as easily obtainable for an AP2 as they are for an AP1? When I look at the UK websites from J's, Tein and Spoon, they only mention AP1 parts. Does this mean that they cannot be installed in a AP2 car? The parts that I am interested in, are all suspension components, intake and header and exhaust.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Suspension, header and exhaust will work for all versions.

Starting with the MY06 models (at least in the US) there's a slightly different intake setup.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EUDM My06+ with an F20C2 is best

Quick Reply: ap2 vs ap1