S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ap2 upgrade to CR suspension?

Old 07-25-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=negcamber,Jul 25 2008, 08:19 PM] I've driven a CR swapped ap2...the suspension was the best "stock" s2k suspension I've ever felt.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't like the lowered look myself so the cr suspension is more then good enough. also, since the car will be winter driven, lowering it makes absolutely no sense for me. its a very nice handling set up. noticable different over the stock suspension.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ks320,Jul 25 2008, 09:39 PM
Then what's the point/advantage of having adjustability if oen's not going to adjust it, and would rather stick to the "standard" setting ...

Anyway, every one has his/her own preferences ...
to adjust ride height? thats not that hard to do.. as far as the settings, i was referring to the shock absorber adjustments. all i was trying to say was that its not rocket science. a simple reading of the manual that comes with the coilovers is all that is needed, and this shouldnt scare anyone away. and yes everyone does have their own preferences so it just comes down to your wallet, and what you want to do with the coilover.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by negcamber,Jul 25 2008, 10:19 PM
I've driven a CR swapped ap2...the suspension was the best "stock" s2k suspension I've ever felt. I was really surprised the change in the handling. It felt razor sharp like an ap1, but felt confident at the limit...even more so than the ap2. And the plus, it won't beat the crap out of your kidneys. I have KW v3 coilovers and I love them...but if you don't want to mess with figuring out the jounce/rebound setting and corner balancing plus want a suspension that isn't going to feel significantly more stiff...then the CR swap is a good out of the box solution.
did the ap2 also have the CR stock tires and size ( wider in the rear ) ?
Old 07-26-2008, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by KaiWang,Jul 26 2008, 06:27 AM
did the ap2 also have the CR stock tires and size ( wider in the rear ) ?
negcamber is referring to my car.

and to answer your question, yes, my car has 255 rear tires and 225 fronts (CR runs 215 front). i am also running the CR alignment specs on the rear and the UK specs on the front, plus the CR steering rack stiffners on the stock AP2 rack.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RadioZero,Jul 26 2008, 04:18 PM
negcamber is referring to my car.

and to answer your question, yes, my car has 255 rear tires and 225 fronts (CR runs 215 front). i am also running the CR alignment specs on the rear and the UK specs on the front, plus the CR steering rack stiffners on the stock AP2 rack.
I have a 2006, what do the steering rack stiffeners actually feel like? Thanks
Old 07-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by a_zepeda926,Jul 26 2008, 03:52 AM
to adjust ride height? thats not that hard to do.. as far as the settings, i was referring to the shock absorber adjustments. all i was trying to say was that its not rocket science. a simple reading of the manual that comes with the coilovers is all that is needed, and this shouldnt scare anyone away. and yes everyone does have their own preferences so it just comes down to your wallet, and what you want to do with the coilover.
If all you want is to lower the car, there are much cheaper ways to do that. Just get lowering springs.

And if you aren't going to corner balance the coilovers, you aren't taking advantage of the primary performance capability that coilovers provide. From the testing I've done, just arbitrarily slamming the car isn't going to make the car handle better.

And if you aren't going to use the jounce/rebound adjustability to tune the suspension to maximize potential for your own driving style, then you don't really need that adjustablility.

Like Ks320 said...you can make the handling worse even if you read the manual and adjust the ride height and jounce/rebound to some arbitrary settings picked from a book. To optimize, you should do testing. At least with the CR suspension, Honda engineers spent their professional time doing testing to optimize the spring rates and shock valving to match the swaybars.

None of this is meant to scare anyone away from getting coilovers. But if you aren't going to take advantage of their capabilities...there are better solutions that won't potentially reduce handling.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:45 PM

[QUOTE=negcamber,Jul 26 2008, 10:03 AM] If all you want is to lower the car, there are much cheaper ways to do that.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:25 PM

Have you had any problems at all with the CR setup on an AP2?

I thought I read something about an improper height in the front... Was i imagining that?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by qsmarcei,Jul 26 2008, 03:25 PM
Have you had any problems at all with the CR setup on an AP2?

I thought I read something about an improper height in the front... Was i imagining that?

Thanks
That is exactly the same thing I heard. The front of the car gets a bigger gap and the back actually gaps less. Not a good thing IMHO.

Quick Reply: ap2 upgrade to CR suspension?