S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AP1/AP2 recommendations

Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1/AP2 recommendations

Hi guys, I'm in a the market for an s2k atm, I've narrowed my search down to a spa yellow 2003, or rio yellow 2004-05.

I'm having a hard time deciding which to go for though, the ap1 or ap2? What are the benefits of getting ap2 over ap1 and vice versa?

I know the basics as I've test driven both already, and I'm a honda nerd for the most part, just wanna hear some feedback and suggestions from the owners!

Oh, and my plans for the future would just be bolt-ons, maybe SC.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:22 PM

AP1 with updated AP2 exterior.

EDIT: Maybe AP2 center console and radio door too.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocha,Feb 21 2009, 11:37 PM
Hi guys, I'm in a the market for an s2k atm, I've narrowed my search down to a spa yellow 2003, or rio yellow 2004-05.

I'm having a hard time deciding which to go for though, the ap1 or ap2? What are the benefits of getting ap2 over ap1 and vice versa?

I know the basics as I've test driven both already, and I'm a honda nerd for the most part, just wanna hear some feedback and suggestions from the owners!

Oh, and my plans for the future would just be bolt-ons, maybe SC.
I'll let people chime in, but you might be opening yourself up to a big flaming for this thread. There are nice, comprehensive, multi-page threads on this very topic.

Use the SEARCH function to help locate them.

And since you're considering an AP1 vs a non-DBW AP2, there have been years of discussion on the topic (it's not like you're considering an AP1 vs a CR).

Since you're new to the site, I'll just say .
Old 02-22-2009, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by CKit,Feb 22 2009, 03:48 AM
I'll let people chime in, but you might be opening yourself up to a big flaming for this thread. There are nice, comprehensive, multi-page threads on this very topic.

Use the SEARCH function to help locate them.

And since you're considering an AP1 vs a non-DBW AP2, there have been years of discussion on the topic (it's not like you're considering an AP1 vs a CR).

Since you're new to the site, I'll just say .

This topic actually has been discussed quite a few times, and it almost felt like some fights were about to break out at times.

Anyhow, I would recommend that you run a search on this forum. You will find that people have very extreme comments about those two sometimes. I guess that's what happens when we take this car so seriously and actually make an effort to understand everything here.

Nevertheless, I would recommend that you read up on some info here, and do back to back test drives on cars with similar mileage and of similar conditions. Hopefully both are relatively stock as well.

Good luck !
Old 02-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've driven both cars, which one did you like better?

Generally when buying used, it is always best to buy the newest lowest mileage car you can afford.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by negcamber,Feb 22 2009, 11:56 AM

Generally when buying used, it is always best to buy the newest lowest mileage car you can afford.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by negcamber,Feb 22 2009, 07:56 AM

I like both equally. I like the 9k redline of the ap1 and the looks of it more. But the Ap2 is safer and seems to have more potential in upgrades cuz of the 2.2 ltr. What I rly wanted to ask was, which model responds better to mods/is safer to SC. I've heard of s2ks having problems with rods snapping under boost.

In response to the first few posts, I have been doing my research, just haven't found the answers I've been looking for.

Thnx for the help everyone.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocha,Feb 22 2009, 11:03 AM
I like both equally. I like the 9k redline of the ap1 and the looks of it more. But the Ap2 is safer and seems to have more potential in upgrades cuz of the 2.2 ltr. What I rly wanted to ask was, which model responds better to mods/is safer to SC. I've heard of s2ks having problems with rods snapping under boost.

In response to the first few posts, I have been doing my research, just haven't found the answers I've been looking for.

Thnx for the help everyone.
You can try the FI forum for those particular questions.

I'll try to get you started:

There are plenty of people who have safely boosted AP1s. The AP2s did have improved bits and pieces in the head, synchros in the tranny, and vs. the early AP1s the extra oil jet bolts.

If you're talking about driving safety, there are things you can do to make an AP1 safer... aftermarket traction control, alignment, swaybar... for less than the difference of an AP2.

Hope this helps and drive safely!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocha,Feb 22 2009, 02:03 PM
What I rly wanted to ask was, which model responds better to mods/is safer to SC. I've heard of s2ks having problems with rods snapping under boost.
Either car can pretty easily get to 300-350whp with boost.

And you don't need to worry too much about the internals...stock forged pistons and rods. We've seen examples of stock internal motors making 600-700whp.

The area where you need to beef up is the diff. Stock, the ap2 diff is stronger. But if you are going to upgrade to a re-enforced diff (PuddyMod for example), it won't matter if you start with an ap1 or ap2 diff since you're going to replace it anyway.

Stock, the ap2 handling is more predictable...but add 100whp to either car and you change that dynamic.

As far as other mods...neither responds all that well to NA mods, but the ap2 can safely run up to 8500rpm. Using an ap1 ecu on an ap2 makes a pretty big difference in performance.

So...is one car less expensive than the other? If there is a big difference in cost, then you can put that money towards your mods.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:38 AM

its really up to you.

ive driven both an ap1 and ap2. redline and tq difference is not an issue to me.

the ap2 does have a slightly stiffer spring rate but thats it as far as handling that i noticed at least.

nowadays, as somebody mentioned, going after low mileage and good deal would be the smartest thing. but i guarantee you as long as its an S2000 you should be able to enjoy it very much.

Quick Reply: AP1/AP2 recommendations