S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   AP1 or AP2 long drive / commuter king? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/ap1-ap2-long-drive-commuter-king-1108135/)

Oats 12-12-2014 06:56 PM

On long road trips the wind noise and I think the top bufeting start giving me a headache after 4-5 hours. Evertime I go visit my family I start checking the forums and craigslist for hard tops.

Gotpepsi 12-12-2014 09:32 PM

The AP2 is no torque monster either. Daily drivers don't really NEED a lot of torque to get from point A to B; just drive like a normal citizen and you'll be okay. An Ap1 wouldn't be my first choice for a long drive. I rather take a Honda accord/civic than an s2000. Road noise is just to much.

Car Analogy 12-13-2014 03:51 AM

But you might need torque to get from point A14 to A15. You never know when you are say, pulling away at a light that you might unexpectedly need some instant grunt. Not that ap2 solves that problem, but it does improve it.

redlineracing 12-13-2014 04:16 AM

I ordered an 04,but when an 03 came in,I bought it.For me,the AP1 is more of a base,unfiltered sports car than the AP2.Both are great,I just like the "raw" feel of the AP1 better.

My 03 is my DD.

\rlr
Carolina

Chuck S 12-13-2014 04:31 AM

I bought and maintain my 2006 as a fun car. I was going to get another TR6 but I'm just a driver, no longer a "fixer," and the Honda is not only a proven reliable car but has the creature comforts like AC and cruise we expect these days.

I have maybe 20 miles on two AP1s but didn't note any major differences from my '06 AP2 other than the extra 1000rpm of VTEC -- which I liked! My car is a summer "daily driver," which means commuting in good weather. And I ran from Cleveland to Columbus and back several times last summer. She went in storage last month and will come out in April or May.

On the interstate with cruise engaged the S2000 is as boring as any other and there's enough torque on my '06 that dropping out of 6th to get around guys hogging the left lane is not normally necessary (but it's fun!); on the old US and state highways it's much more fun to drive but bounding over hill crests I have to be careful for buggies and hay wagons.

I just bought mine last summer and had a priority list starting with unmodified/stock '06 or later. The '06 has DBW which enables VSC and traction control. Either type cruise should work. The AP2s are less tail-happy than the AP1s and I'm happy for it.

Honda tweaked the S2000 every year making large and small improvements. In my experience the later the year, the nicer the car.

-- Chuck

theredone 12-13-2014 01:14 PM

Wow this is great! thanks so much for all of the input, yes I agree for a track or autox car AP1 is better with the extra 1k rpms you won't bang the limiter.

Yes, I liked hearing that the 06 was "boring" on the highway that's what I'm looking for. But on a nice friday afterwork you could have a BLAST!

I found an AP2 dyno chart it seems 2500rpm =100tq, 3000 rpm = 125tq.

I agree stop and go traffic might be a bother, but its no different than any other manual transmission.

Wannabes2k2k11 12-13-2014 01:54 PM

OP I haven't read all the replies but all the bs technical differences aside from all the s2000's, you shouldn't worry much about them.

Because at the end of the day the s2000 sucks to be in for more than 30 min at a time. And thats ten fold with various modifications.

I had a 09 civic si, sold two years later for a s2000. Even drove the s2000 across the country, but the s2000 is so uncomfortable I couldn't take it anymore. So I went out to buy a new car to daily, and ended up with another 09 si because the miles were stooooopidly low. And it's a better car than the fiesta I wanted.

Now i drive the s2000 once a month, around 30 min increments lol.

I'm 6ft 160lbs, and it just isn't comfortable. Yes you can tolerate it, and really enjoy the car. But when your honest with yourself, it's just not comfortable.

Old racer 12-13-2014 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Wannabes2k2k11 (Post 23436407)
OP I haven't read all the replies but all the bs technical differences aside from all the s2000's, you shouldn't worry much about them.

Because at the end of the day the s2000 sucks to be in for more than 30 min at a time. And thats ten fold with various modifications.

I had a 09 civic si, sold two years later for a s2000. Even drove the s2000 across the country, but the s2000 is so uncomfortable I couldn't take it anymore. So I went out to buy a new car to daily, and ended up with another 09 si because the miles were stooooopidly low. And it's a better car than the fiesta I wanted.

Now i drive the s2000 once a month, around 30 min increments lol.

I'm 6ft 160lbs, and it just isn't comfortable. Yes you can tolerate it, and really enjoy the car. But when your honest with yourself, it's just not comfortable.

Are you talking about the European Fiesta? If so you had a lucky escape.

If you think a S2000 is uncomfortable a Fiesta would kill you. My lady has a new one, & after once driving her 50 miles to a minor day surgery in it, because she thought it would be more comfortable, I refuse to even get in to it again.

Adrenalize 12-13-2014 08:24 PM

If possible, buy a beater to commute in and have the S for fun drives and days off. Not worth punishing the car day in and day out like that. The S is reliable and certainly capable, however.

Car Analogy 12-14-2014 05:26 AM

Or another pov, enjoy it all you can as much as you can. Drive it all the time, everywhere. Just take care of it, and it will go many 100's of k's of miles.

This is what I do with mine. Everyday, every drive, is fun.