S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AP1 Airbag on AP2 Wheel

Old 01-03-2009, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote name='GPWonTan' date='Jan 3 2009, 05:51 AM'] the problem is i bought a VGS steering wheel (custom fitted from AP1 wheel) and I'm trying to get that installed on my AP2.
the seller (S2KPUDDYDAD) has told me it fits on ALL year S2000's and was going to give me instructions but he has not gotten back to me in a few days and my install is happening today.
now i read this thread and is a lil concerned
Old 01-03-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by wuttheheezy' date='Jan 3 2009, 07:08 AM
so your vgs steering wheel had no airbag included? do you happen to know which steering wheel it was modeled after? btw where did you get your hands on one of those? they're really slick.. i like the flat bottom..
the VGS wheel was fitted onto an AP1 steering wheel. it does not come with airbag center because i'm using my AP2 airbag center.

everything seemed fine after the install this morning. but when i took it out at night, I just got an EPS light that came on (speedometer mph no longer works - show 0). so i stop, turn off the car then turned it back on, EPS remains and then later CEL comes on. i turned off the car again, restart, EPS light disappears but CEL remains on.

Not sure what is going on. The car is parked now and i'm very confused... reading the board to see why. The shop is closed until monday so i can't go back to them yet.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:18 PM

gosh... i don't know what else to tell you buddy but good luck and hope everything works out for you. please post pics once you get things figured out.. cheers to the new year and new wheel..
Old 01-03-2009, 05:16 PM

just ran the code and it came up P0500 - speed sensor faulty or something like that

i removed it so the warning lights doesn't come on anymore but i'd like to know how to get rid of the problem once and for all.

it should worth mention a few things:

1. I have a yellow box (since i got 4.77 gears) that was installed by hardtopguys.

2. that the only reason the light came on is because i was adjust my driver side mirror at the time. before that, the car was fine w/ no problems. i was also told that if i run my AC, the sensor will come on.

3. in my stock ap2, when i click on the cruise button, the dash will show the green cruise control light. now that i have an ap1 wheel w/ my ap2 air bag, the cruise control light does not come on automatically, it only shows once i 'set' cruise to a speed.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GPWonTan' date='Jan 3 2009, 09:16 PM
just ran the code and it came up P0500 - speed sensor faulty or something like that

i removed it so the warning lights doesn't come on anymore but i'd like to know how to get rid of the problem once and for all.

it should worth mention a few things:

1. I have a yellow box (since i got 4.77 gears) that was installed by hardtopguys.

2. that the only reason the light came on is because i was adjust my driver side mirror at the time. before that, the car was fine w/ no problems. i was also told that if i run my AC, the sensor will come on.

3. in my stock ap2, when i click on the cruise button, the dash will show the green cruise control light. now that i have an ap1 wheel w/ my ap2 air bag, the cruise control light does not come on automatically, it only shows once i 'set' cruise to a speed.
You need to use your AP2 cruise buttons to have the extra off button.

The EPS is coming on because, of the yellow jacket speed unit. The unit needs a very strong ground to function.
You will loose The dash spedo then the EPS light will come on because, it does not sense speed. This will happen when there is a spike in the electrical system. Running the A/C or in your case the power mirror caused a spike and that is why the EPS went out on you.

I have had no issue with changing out an air bar using AP1 wheel with AP2 air bag combo.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 PM

ic, that sounds easy enough

btw, the wheel is a dandy! did i just use that word?

i'm really really happy with the VGS wheel. i've always liked the way it looks but man, i didn't realize i'd also like the way it feels. combined with the UK Spec alignment and coilover raise, this car is driving like new i never knew the handling could be so good!