S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

To anyone who is a Winter S driver

Old 10-04-2002, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To anyone who is a Winter S driver

Hey I have a question for the pro's. (Xviper). I live in S.L.C. Ut. where it is starting to get a little colder. I bought my S in Febuary of 02' and this will be the first winter she will experience. In Feb I had to drive through 1 snow storm, and swore that it would be the last, because my back end kept coming around on me. Now that winter is almost here I need to make a decision. Get a beater or pull up my panties and get some snow tires/wheels.
Roads here are salted, and we get a decent amount of snow.
What kind of effect will salt have on my car?
How squirly is the rear end with the snow tires on?
Are there any other things I should be aware of during the winter driving?
My current protection is 1. Full frontal clear bra
2. Dealership undercoating
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:26 PM

I can't tell you much about snow driving since we don't get all that much here in Louisville, KY. We do get some and often have days on end where what melts in the day freezes during the night.

In any event, I replaced my worn out SO2s w/ BFG KDWs. I've been very happy w/ their wet and dry performance. If their KDWS tires are even in the ballpark as good, I'd think that you ought to consider them.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:34 PM

Personally, I drive a beater. I keep my S on the road thru the winter but only drive it when roads are 100% free of salt. Driving a beater primarily thru the winter months makes you appreciate your S more come springtime when you pull it out of mothballs. Can you drive it thru the winter? Sure you can with a set of Blizzaks. But why bother if you don't absolutely have to. It's no fun driving it thru all that crap so why run up the miles.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say, drive her like normal. It snows here in richmond, but not all that often. and the few times i had to driver the S when it was snowing bad, i managed. You just have to be careful when you are driving on uncleaned streets. Since it is rear wheel drive, the roads sometimes forces you to go one way.

I usually wash the car after every trip out, so i don't worry about the salt and what it would do.
Old 10-05-2002, 01:23 AM
POV

Hmmm, I won't be much help for a few months. I'm planning on driving mine this winter. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The main roads are plowed fairly well, but side streets and allies aren't. I'm going to be running Bridgestone Blizzaks WS-50's (I had the WS-40(?)'s on my old Integra Type-R and LOVED them for winter here), but I'm still trying to find a good size for the winter. As a first guess 205/60R16's all the way around . (I can't find 195/60's for the front.) It'll feel like a 10-speed on dry pavement, but I'm not likely to see that for about 5 months...

Anyways, if there's any interest, I'll let you know what I end up getting.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:35 AM

Do a search of this topic. Lots of information....

I drive a beater Jeep.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by dkhl
Since it is front wheel drive, the roads sometimes forces you to go one way.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the S2K rear wheel drive?
Old 10-05-2002, 07:05 AM

Due to a recent real estate purchase, my 3rd (winter) car has been sacrificed. I need the S to get me to work thru the next 2 or 3 Wisconsin winters. I read a thread in TireRacks' column on S2Ki about this and have done my own research: The S will be OK with good winter tires (Blizzaks) as long as one drives very carefully in the snow. Also, with the racing type suspension we all love..it is important to remember on that dry, sunny February day not to push the winter tires too much. They do not have the sidewalls of the S-02s. The Bridgestone LM-22's are more speed compatible but more $$$. I have heard good about Dunlop's snow tire too.

Hope this helps. Try Jim at the tire rack. He is very helpful. Prices are better than locals too.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:09 AM

I got Blizzaks from TireRack.com. It's the same tire and wheel all around, so I can move tires from back to front as they wear. I've been through two NY winters with them and they are great. With the limited slip differential and 50/50 weight distribution, it handles great in the snow. The stock tires are dangerous in cold weather and in snow. You'll be amazed at what Blizzaks will do for it.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:20 AM

the main reason (maybe only reason) for the S2K's poor performance in the snow is the tires. High performance tires are sometimes called "summer tires" - the reason being they only handle worth a damn in warm weather. The tread design and compound is maximized for handling performance in warm, dry weather. Some performance tires are OK in the wet, some aren't; they all suck in snow, however.

I have seen many posts in this forum that the S handles fine in the winter with the proper tires (winter or snow tires).

BTW, I had to drive one time in the snow with high performance tires (not the S02's but another brand) and it scared me sh*tless!

Quick Reply: To anyone who is a Winter S driver