S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone w/ Silver get body repaired? did it match?

Old 11-07-2001, 05:03 AM
vmb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got just the phone call I was hoping for last night- the dealer had the BASF rep do a "Spectrum analysis" and it apparently agreed with the above impressions. The color was right, but the "sparkle" was off. They said that they think they know the solution now. I'll be getting it back tomorrow, hopefully......
Old 11-07-2001, 05:08 AM

Its nice to hear you're getting a good result from them.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:09 AM

I had my front bumper re-sprayed last week and the match is perfect to the eye. The trick is finding a good body shop and working with them. I have a recommendation if anyone in or around the Charlotte area is looking for one!
Old 11-07-2001, 07:34 AM

Some idiot drunk teenagers scraped up my driver's side door. I took special care to find a qualified body shop. The paint matches perfectly as far as I or anyone else can tell.

The Honda body shop said they couldn't guarantee paint matching, so I found a place that would.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:55 AM

I'm getting a small portion of my front bumper repainted (the dealer says its a simple touch up, whatever that means) to fix two small scrapes.

I'm getting worried that the paint is not going to match. Should I be concerned? My car is only 2 days old

-sadcow
Old 11-07-2001, 07:57 AM

If they spray then they should do the whole bumper. The insurance cost for my bumper to be completely resprayed was less than $400.00.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:34 AM

They never mentioned spraying the whole bumper I really hope this is not the case. They said they only needed to touch up the paint in that area. They promised it'll look brand new.

- upsetcow
Old 11-07-2001, 09:55 AM

My left front fender was dented and my front bumper was scratched down to the black plastic along the left edge when someone hit it in a parking lot. I had a local Acura dealership do the work (I was given several recommendations). They did a fabulous job. They didn't respray the entire bumper, just spotted it. There's no way anyone will ever be able to tell, including myself. Competence goes a long way.

- Warren
Old 11-07-2001, 09:57 AM

Indeed. The place that I went to simply resprayed the panel because the don't do spot painting. I think that it is more difficult to get the colors to match when just doing the spot painting.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:38 AM
vmb

I wonder if a shop would try to just buff small scratches out and call that a "touch-up." This may work, depending on the depth and size, but I'd ask for sure what they're going to do. Would seem silly to pay a couple hundred bones for just a "buff."

I also have learned through experimentation on my wife's black Civic that some fairly ugly scratches can be rubbed out by hand with some good polishing compound and a lot of elbow grease. Just be sure to keep a good coat of polish and wax afterwards. Good luck!

And if anyone remembers seeing my post complaining about this dealership when they ripped off the old bumper and broke the clips- seems like they're trying to make up for it. I guess everyone deserves a second chance......

Quick Reply: Anyone w/ Silver get body repaired? did it match?