S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone using Royal Purple and picking up 5% more HP?

Old 09-25-2003, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using Royal Purple and picking up 5% more HP?

I was wondering if people are using the Royal Purple brand of oil since it claims to improve horse power by 5%?
Thats 12hp on a N/A engine and 17hp on a S/C engine.
Seems like a nice bump in HP for just changing oil.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd have to say that's marketing at its finest.

If that were the case then it would be silly to spend the money on intake and exhaust when you could get that extra performance from an oil change.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched the Horsepower TV thing on their website for the Camaro. Their dyno showed an 8 HP increase using the RP products. Here's my main problem with what they showed. They changed the dif, tranny, oil and radiator fluids with all RP products. There was no consistand method of testing to it at all, what I would have rather seen is two identical cars side by side, they both run a dyno baseline, then the engine oil is changed on one with RP, the other with a different synthetic product. Run a Dyno on both. Then change the dif, again one with RP, the other with Joe Blow synthetic, another dyno run. Then the same with the tranny, another dyno, then the coolant and another dyno.

Who's to say that changing all of those fluids with any other synthetic or even a mineral based wouldn't show the same results just because it's new lubricant?
Old 09-26-2003, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by 3ngin33r1
Who's to say that changing all of those fluids with any other synthetic or even a mineral based wouldn't show the same results just because it's new lubricant?
I have to agree here. It's just like using Redline fluids. You change tehm all out and you're bound to see an increase. Expecially if you're comparing them to a fluid that hasnt been changed in 5k miles.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me tell you something - automakers spend millions to get a 5% EPA boost - they could sell more SUV's and large trucks, where the $'s are. If they thought they could see an average 5% increase, they would supply the oil FREE!

As an oil guy, I will say that in a 4X4, in very cold climates, you will see a marginal increase in fuel mileage until the diff and tranny warm up.

Once warmed up, the fuel mileage benefits are minimal. Modern Group III mineral oils are very cl;ose to the syns in friction reduction.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:56 AM

I heard the same thing for Mobil 1. It's supposed to help you develop more horespower because of the slippery property make-up or some shit. Some people say they can tell the difference, but I never could.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:03 AM

For my 2 cents I think its a BS.

Then the only other thing I would say is stay away from oil or trany additives. Things like prolong DO reduce friction... HOWEVER they all seem to cause corrosion. I think the only one that didn't was Slick 50, it just gums up your engine.

Stick with a good synthetic, leave the hype for ricers. You know the ones... the guys who think each sticker they put on their car adds 5 hp.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:34 AM

The only change I notice with Synthetic is a slight increase in fuel mileage and a quieter engine.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Usually they can show a difference, but what they are doing is switching to a lower viscosity lube in all cases. Look at the before and after specs. If you do the same in engine, transmission, and diff you will also get a marginally higher dyno number.. but it is not something you would want to run on the street. Just good marketing.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:40 AM

I've used the Royal Purple in my Prelude. I still have 2 quarts. It ran well but i didn't really see any different. I guess i should have raced my buddies TypeR and seen if i would have pulled on him. We usually are dead even, no pull on each other.
But i love my S now.

And if anyone can tell the difference between aftermarket springs and coilovers, please PM. I bought a new S and it's lowered and i'm not sure if it has springs or coilovers because i want to put it back to stock height.
TIA

Parker

Quick Reply: Anyone using Royal Purple and picking up 5% more HP?