S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone use a car broker?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use a car broker?

So i've been trying to sell my mazda 3 GT and use that money to buy an S. I have it on craigslist and got a call from an auto broker (i think) he said his company helps people who cannot afford their cars anymore to get in contact with buyers who can take over the payments. He said if i wanted I could sign a contract that would basically say he and I agree for him to sell my car no less than xx,xxx price. Then he would get his employees to look for an S and negotiate the lowest price where I could come in and buy it after he negotiates the price for me. I asked for a website and he gave me "http://automanagers.webstarts.com/index.html" Seems shady, and I probably wont give him a call back, but this made me wonder about legit car brokers...anyone use them? Do they get you that much savings after their fee? I feel I can negotiate pretty well at the dealer on my own. I got a 37,000 car down to 30,300 with some little accessories just for fun, out the door price. And the mazda3 from 25000 plus tax down to 23,600 OTD. But I think the S would be much harder to get down since it holds its value and there seems to be a pretty high demand for them...thought ive only seen maybe 2 in the last month around my area
Old 04-27-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know, but I looked up the web site and the company says it is "licensed and bonded in California". If you live in CA, the first step would be to see if that claim is true.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wait. Car brokers usually charge a few hundred and do little. I'd post it everywhere, it'll sell, specially because the used car market is peaking from this month to May.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 PM

I'd skip the broker. never used them and never really heard of them

how much do you owe, if any, on Mazda3? if not much, did you try appraising it at Carmax, or AutoTrader? they have buy centers that'll offer you an instant offer.

good luck
Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 AM

I've been fortunate enough to have paid off the mazda. I did get it appraised at car max for 2k less than what I think it can sell in private party. I'm just going to hold out and sell the car myself. Ive posted on craigslist, ebay motors, and auto trader. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:02 AM

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,024 Posts

I have used a licensed car dealer who was independent; that is did not have a brick and mortar location. Easier to work with and had the new car delivered to a brick and mortar dealer for pick up. Different animal than what you are talking about.

These guys (if legit) make their money providing convenience to you. You pay for that. You will always get the most selling your car yourself but you have to put up with the hassle of people coming over and looking at the car. (Beware of Craigslist-so many scams and rip offs, criminals scoping out your house) Trade in is super easy but you will take a hit.

You say you are good at negotiations? Then go get yourself a car!

The fact this outfit called after seeing your post on Craigslist SCREAMS a warning to me. They are going to want critical information from you. They want your car. They want you. Try eBay and local paper. Sell it yourself. I would avoid these guys.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:58 AM

I got another guy who called trying to get my to do a consignment that really annoyed me...here's how the conversation went.

Him: Do you still have the vehicle?

Me: Yes I do, what would you like to know?

Him: I might be able to give you the asking price. Can you bring it to my dealership tomorrow? 1133 West 9th st. Upland. I will be there 9am - 7pm.

Me: I'm not interested in consignment, thank you though.

***The next morning***

Me: I think you already texted me about consignment.

Him: Why not?

Me: Because i know i'm not going to get the price i want at auction

Him: Cool. Lets do it today?

Me (this is where i start to get annoyed): Did you not read what I said or something?

Him: Nope.

Me: I get you're trying to make a living, I do sales too and know how it is, but when it comes down to it, no means no.

Him: I do not believe in the answer "No"

Me: Yeah fine, you can be that shady salesman that makes the rest of us look bad, but in this case it's a no. If you want to do whatever you do with my car, give me (the asking price) in 100 dollar bills, and i'll sign the title over to you.

Him: Okay
Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NICE!!! Looks like you got your asking price ^^ lol
Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenw
I got another guy who called trying to get my to do a consignment that really annoyed me...here's how the conversation went.

Me: Yes I do, what would you like to know?

Him: I might be able to give you the asking price. Can you bring it to my dealership tomorrow? 1133 West 9th st. Upland. I will be there 9am - 7pm.

Me: I'm not interested in consignment, thank you though.

***The next morning***

Me: I think you already texted me about consignment.

Him: Why not?
And right about there is when his texts would be blocked by me.

Some people are just rude.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I was in the car business for a long time. These guys are all wholesalers. They may give you some BS about getting you set up with a buyer, or consigning your car for you. But it will all eventually lead to them trying to buy your car for a wholesale value after they jerk you around for a while. The guy that wants you to sign a contract - the whole point of that is to get your car off the market until you're so frustrated that you'll take his low-ball cash offer. These guys are the bottom feeders of auto wholesalers - they don't have enough contacts at dealerships to get enough inventory to survive, so they do crap like this.

The only legit "car brokers" are guys that have independent dealerships and can procure cars for you, new or used. The guys that do well with this NEVER chase used car sellers on craigslist, or tell you you have to sign a contract. They operate via word of mouth and usually deal in higher end product or procuring cars for businesses.

Quick Reply: Anyone use a car broker?