S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone upset at Honda for the poor seat design?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker,May 18 2008, 04:38 PM
I really can't see why a manually adjustable longer seat tilt (or perhaps an optional accessory front of the seat extender) and some adjustable (even air bladder) lumbar support is loading the unit down with needless gadgetry.
Of course the Japan available factory recessed dash GPS display would also be nice but thats for another post.
I purchased the blood-pressure-cuff lumbar-support mod a while back from some one on the board. One of the supporting vendors may still carry it. Slip the cuff under the center portion of the seat, and inflate with the attached bulb. $20 and works great. My chiropractor strongly recommended this. He also told me to avoid grabbing the wheel and twisting myself into the car.

I also agree about Volvo seats - THRONES! I don't find the cushions to be short, a beef I had w/ the G35. Back in the 60's and 70's, Japanese cars had seats that were way too small for Americans, but a lot has changed since.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 AM

The biggest thing that bothers me about the seat is how warm the right side of the seat gets due to the center tunnel. My right leg is always feelin sweaty on warm days
Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 AM

I had the 240, the seat was OK. There is definitely a difference in seat design from Japanese manufacturers. Recaro has the sliding thigh support in most decent german cars, and a seat angle adjuster. I haven't seen these even on recaro spec japanese cars, such as my old evo.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiHawk,May 18 2008, 04:58 PM
- I'm 6'2" & 200 lbs - both the seat and car fit juuust right.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:14 PM

I never found the OEM seats to be all that bad (other than being leather and slippery when driving the car hard) I did always think they were semi-comfortable though.

I did replace it with an ASM/Recaro bucket seat and I love it alot more no more sliding around!
Old 05-19-2008, 01:17 PM

Damn you must have a really sensative toosh. I f-ing love the S2000 seats. I've never sat in anything as nice as them. They fit my body like a glove
Old 05-19-2008, 01:24 PM

my only complaint is lack of lumbar support...anyone have the link to where u can buy the inflatable lumbar support?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by gbaker,May 19 2008, 09:15 AM
I just wanted to know if others thought a minor seat bottom lengthening would improve the seat. I didn't seem like I was asking for a major overhaul of the excellent cabin, nor does it seem like seat bottom tweak (with adjustability) is any sort of stretch for Honda engineering to accomplish.
The S2000 cockpit is a tight fit, and at a little over 6', the seats let my knees flop around during hard cornering, so much so that I have bruises on the left side of my left leg after a day of autocrossing. For four years I've been threatening to put a pad on the door to make live easier for my poor knee, but I haven't been able to bring myself to duct tape a block of foam to my door panel yet.

I (personally) wouldn't compare the S2000 seats to anything other than comparable cars, and since I consider the S2000 to be an under 2l roadster, I have to compare it with Fiat's, MG's, Triumphs, Miata's, and so on; In this kind of comparison the S2000 has some of the nicest and most comfortable seats I've seen in an OEM application.

Seats are what they are, and are a part of a cars "character." The seats in our Benz are HARD, and on long trips I have to use a lumbar support to avoid unbearable lower back pain. BUT, the seats are great at holding on in place when cornering hard, and they transmit lots of feedback from the chassis, so they're nice when driving the car hard. In contrast, the seats in our Lexus RX-300 are soft, have adjustable lumbar supports, and don't bother my back even if I drive for 18-20 hours straight. They provide no feedback, and no support for hard cornering, but they are the second most comfortable seats I've seen in an automobile (the most comfortable being the non-adjustable seats that use to come in the base Fiat 128).

Sports car seats are not suppose to be comfortable, so the S2000 seats are what I expect. The could use more support, but higher bolsters would make entry and exit more difficult, and the darn doors are already too short for my long legs.

Have you looked at aftermarket seats? If you are skinny enough, the Bride seats are nice.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:11 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

[QUOTE=RED MX5,May 19 2008, 05:26 PM]
Sports car seats are not suppose to be comfortable, so the S2000 seats are what I expect.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by shotiable,May 18 2008, 11:23 AM
maybe honda designed their cars for short japansese people with short legs >.<
Yea and short hispanic guys too. 5,7 140 lbs . The seats are great IMO.

Quick Reply: Anyone upset at Honda for the poor seat design?