S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone upset at Honda for the poor seat design?

Old 05-18-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R3DS2K,May 18 2008, 11:35 AM
because so many large and tall Americans want to buy little cars but complain bout not fitting in them is why the average sports car is getting bigger.
I don't buy that at all. An MG Midget has plenty of leg room for a 6' to 6'1" driver, and is WAY smaller than any modern sports car. MGA's and MGB's also had plenty of leg room for very tall drivers, and by modern standards, they're tiny too. Look at an original Mini, and compare it to the BMW version. The original is a fraction of the size, and almost seems bigger on the inside than on the outside. Sports cars ARE getting bigger, but it has nothing to do with American drivers being tall and/or complaining; The increasing size of sports cars over the years has been primarily a function of Federal Safety Laws.

A Fiat 850 is half the size of an S2000 and has twice as much interior room, in a package that weighs 60% less, but you can't sell cars like that in the USA anymore because the Government doesn't consider them safe, and doesn't want us driving cars that are lighter and more fun, but less safe. Given that, I have no idea why we think we live in a free contry, but that's a bit off topic.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:22 AM

I don't know. This car is what it is, and it's not for everyone. Sure, the long trip I took it in one time, it wasn't the most comfortable, especially like my Mazdaspeed 6, which is pure heaven on a long road trip, but the very complaints only validate just how pure of a sports car this is. The seats to me are a perfect fit and sure it can get crammy, but to me it's not the seats, it's the overall narrowness of the S2K. I'm not sure what Honda can do to please everyone and make this a car everyone is comfortable in. The answer is nothing, other then to make it larger, and then the entire car changes, further upsetting other people. I understand the complaints though, but I refuse to complain, because the good so much outweighs the bad.

It's what it's supposed to be, and I LOVE IT.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:15 AM

I agree with S2K-DJ 100%, which is why I have had the car as my daily driver since 2001.

I just wanted to know if others thought a minor seat bottom lengthening would improve the seat. I didn't seem like I was asking for a major overhaul of the excellent cabin, nor does it seem like seat bottom tweak (with adjustability) is any sort of stretch for Honda engineering to accomplish. I was also hoping maybe HondaUsa reads this site on occasion, because they haven't supplied any way for the customer to feed back concerns on their USA website. The good ole USA has given Mr. Honda quite a few greenbacks over the years and I felt they might listen to the end long-term user on occasion.

But, it seems that many of the site folks don't have the problems I perceive(in all my 3 Hondas). I guess its all in the eye of the beholder and my eyes are going bad.

This site never ceases to impress me with the availability of good information about almost any S2k topic one could imagine.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

6'1" Here, I fit fine, though I'm quite skinny, which I'm sure helps. The only complaint I had was that I felt like it sat up pretty high in the interior. I do wish there was a bit more side bolster support, but I've gone to aftermarket seats now which have solved my problems.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by shotiable,May 18 2008, 08:23 AM
maybe honda designed their cars for short japansese people with short legs >.<

I'm a 5'6 little asian man... I have no complaints. On the other hand If I were a half a foot taller and had long longs I would be miserable. As it stands the car fits me like a glove. I could definitely see the issue with a person with longer legs not having enough thigh support. Maybe they could addres the issue like BMW, with adjustable thigh supports
Old 05-19-2008, 06:49 AM

I am 6 foot and love the seats, I drove straight through to wilmington nc. other than fuel stops, 8 hours.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,May 18 2008, 04:08 PM
I know what you are talking about. Japanese people have short legs compared to Americans, so seat bottoms are short and thigh support is not as good in a Japanese car.

I'm a short guy, so it fits me well. But I could see how taller people may find this annoying.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:07 AM

I wouldn't want better thigh support. I need the extra room for footwork.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Elistan,May 18 2008, 08:48 PM
I've done three different two-week, 4500+ mile trips in an S2000, one of which included two back-to-back 12 hour days driving.

And I've never had a problem with the S2000 seats.
for roadtrips in the S. I've done 12 hours to/from Florida without problems, doing it again next month. i didn't use my cruise control so my right leg was a little stiff by the end, but otherwise no problems.

I absolutely love the s2000 seats and can't stand getting into bigger cars... they just don't feel right.

geminimech what the hell is going on in your sig??
Old 05-19-2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by thebig33tuna,May 19 2008, 09:01 AM
geminimech what the hell is going on in your sig??
lol....I found it in the NSFW thread. I get constant questions about where it came from. I have no idea. But I know its absurdly funny. All are welcome to jack it as I have done the same!

Why he throws paper on people and then humps them is beyond me but it makes for some excellent comedy.

Quick Reply: Anyone upset at Honda for the poor seat design?