S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone upset at Honda for the poor seat design?

Old 05-18-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For tleed1234, I may have a tip for you on the knee issue. If its your left knee then it may be how you are getting in and out of the car. I mysteriously developed a bad left knee that at times forced me to walk up stairs with tremendously difficulty.

I went to several docs and they all said early arthritis. After driving an auto rental truck vehicle for several months (on a trip) my knee mysteriously almost fully cleared up. Back in the S2k it acted up again. I figured it might be the slushbox trans (but in the end, it wasn't the clutch, it was was the climb into the cab that did it).

I tried a different way to get in and out that was not swinging my self into the seat with the left foot on the ground. I decided to sit in the seat and move both feet in after I was down. Tricky with the tight door opening.

I have not had a single problem in 5 years since the change. Maybe it will help.

I am quite interested in slipangle79's suggestion of aftermarket seats, I don't need racing versions but that seems like a idea worth looking into.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I agree the seats are a bit rudimentary. Fortunately you can put a smaller pillow or cushion behind the seat back for lumbar.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:14 PM

I love the seats, Probably the best I ever sat in.

No wonder people steal them from us and put them in crappy cars.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I know what you are talking about. Japanese people have short legs compared to Americans, so seat bottoms are short and thigh support is not as good in a Japanese car.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by gbaker,May 18 2008, 01:38 PM
I tried a different way to get in and out that was not swinging my self into the seat with the left foot on the ground. I decided to sit in the seat and move both feet in after I was down. Tricky with the tight door opening.

I have not had a single problem in 5 years since the change. Maybe it will help.
I just tried this today as I had remebered my friend using this method to get in and out of his. I was always afraid of messing up the leather seat from all the extra sliding but who cares . Can't say I ever had a knee problem but I sure could feel it in my lower left back when I would get in and out .

Also, after posting this morning I was determined to try and find the most comfortable driving position - it would seem that the seat back raised up to almost 90 degrees and slid forward so my feet almost fell too close to the pedals is right for me. It feels a little more upright than I'm used to but so far I have felt some relief.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I never understood why people would want to squeeze into this little convertible when they are over 6'
Old 05-18-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vik2000,May 18 2008, 04:50 PM
I never understood why people would want to squeeze into this little convertible when they are over 6'
To give "short" people something to ponder....!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 02:45 PM

5'6 over here and I think the stock seats are very comfortable. The longest drive I've been in was from New Orleans, La to Washington D.C.

Not the most comfortable drives but a few stretch stops helped a lot.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:07 PM

I'm 6'2" and I feel that the S2000 fits me like a glove.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker,May 18 2008, 03:38 PM
I tried a different way to get in and out that was not swinging my self into the seat with the left foot on the ground. I decided to sit in the seat and move both feet in after I was down.
I've been using my left foot to maneuver my large ass into landing position into the seat with the top up, and resting my right hand on the carpet console and jumping in with both feet at the same time with top down.

My bottom left part of the seat is already starting to flatten- which is why I have been using my left foot to help get in. I soon may just say F'it and just plant my butt in mentioned above to prevent any knee stress.

Quick Reply: Anyone upset at Honda for the poor seat design?