S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone upset at Honda for the poor seat design?

Old 05-18-2008, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone upset at Honda for the poor seat design?

Not to flame Honda car designs which are I consider virtually the best AND most reliable for the $ that are available, and especially the S2k which is a fabulous machine, I have a small problem with them.

FTRecord. I own an 2001 S2k(55k+mi.), 2005 Accord(Hybrid) and my daughter has a 2003 Civic Si. We love them all.

BUT. The seating, in particular the bottom is way too short. So short that I consider it totally missing thigh support. This is true of the S2k, the Accord and the Si (which actually has the best thigh support of the 3 if you can call it that). In particular this has made long distance cruising somewhat uncomfortable.

The seat itself is a great, well fitting design but in the S2k since there is virtually nothing but fore/aft and seat back for custom adjustments I had to resort to placing plastic shims under the front mounting bolts to bring the seat front up for a very marginal improvement.

I hope to get some feedback as to whether this is noticed by anyone else?

I am 6' 1" and never had nearly this issue with my 1970, 71 and 73 240Z's (the only other 2 seaters I have ever owned).

Old 05-18-2008, 07:20 AM

TBH, I have no idea what problem you are talking about. The S2000 seats are fantastic.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless your tall. The lumbar support is at my lower back. My back kills me after a few hours.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by SgtB,May 18 2008, 07:23 AM
Unless your tall. The lumbar support is at my lower back. My back kills me after a few hours.
A few hours??? You can tolerate your S2000 for a few hours?

My personal standard for auto seats is Volvo. Laugh about their performance credentials all you want but their seats must have been designed by an orthopedic surgeon. You can spent 5 hours in a Volvo seat without getting uncomfortable. All manufacturers should buy their seats from Volvo.

S2000 seats aren't bad at all. But my um....wide body feels a little pinched in the seat area. Solution? Lose some weight!

As for adjustments, one of the reasons I like the S2000 is it's lack of adjustments, features, and tech gizmos. It's just a plain and simple car to operate. Few distractions.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:44 AM

Thanks, so far for the straight replies. This is something that I have had a small but nagging issue with when comparing to my 240z's. In them I drove each one 50K+ miles/year.

I honestly do love the S2k. So much so, that when I decide to replace this amazingly thightly constructed and fun to drive unit, I can think of none that I would consider close enough to equal the overall kick of this package.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe honda designed their cars for short japansese people with short legs >.<
Old 05-18-2008, 08:35 AM

because so many large and tall Americans want to buy little cars but complain bout not fitting in them is why the average sports car is getting bigger. im 6 feet tall skinny Asian guy and love little sports cars.. but seems to be going away..

i like motorcycles.. i havent seem them make them fit a large range of consumers.. your ether tall enough or not unless you lower which i dont like since the steering gets stiff. also love how they are making them lighter and lighter.. 600rr is only over 400 lbs
Old 05-18-2008, 08:58 AM

I'm 5'9" on a good day and I am having some lower left back pain now that i am driving it everyday. I have a friend who is a little shorter and a little more narrow and he loves the seats in his S. Go figure. I have tried countless adjustments to the seat with little improvement in comfort. I agree the seat bottom is to short and has no real upward angle. I've driven quite a few cars since the S and of those I would say the 98 Sentra was very comfortable with no back pain after hour long drives as well as my GF's G35. I am saving up for some good racing seats and a roll bar.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by R3DS2K,May 18 2008, 10:35 AM
because so many large and tall Americans want to buy little cars but complain bout not fitting in them is why the average sports car is getting bigger. im 6 feet tall skinny Asian guy and love little sports cars.. but seems to be going away..

i like motorcycles.. i havent seem them make them fit a large range of consumers.. your ether tall enough or not unless you lower which i dont like since the steering gets stiff. also love how they are making them lighter and lighter.. 600rr is only over 400 lbs
I love the cars fit. It has plenty of leg room for me, and I'm 6'2". I just wish the lumbar was more pronounced. Besides that, the seat is perfect.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:08 AM

drove my car from socal to norcal, shit first my back hurt, then my knees were going bad, lol

Quick Reply: Anyone upset at Honda for the poor seat design?