S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone transport a big dog in the S?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone transport a big dog in the S?

I have a german shepherd that I like to take with me everywhere and with other cars like my previous mustang, she would just lay down in the back seat. But given that the S doesn't have a back seat, she doesn't have a place to lay down. it's very uncomfortable for her to sit in the seat because as dog owners know, dogs can't remain seated when driving cause they start moving and jerking all over the place. I placed a very heavy duty, weather resistant dog cover over the seat so she doesn't tear or wear the seat but I'm wondering if someone has thought of a platform that you can put in the leg room area in the passenger's side so that a big dog can lay down straight and it will be a continuation of the seat's bottom. So she can stretch and lay straight flat. Does that make sense? Currently, she will get tired from being jerked around sitting esp if we go more than 10 mins driving and she will lay down but she'll be hanging off the edge of the seat and it looks very uncomfortable. She gets restless. Any ideas? I would like to have a removable platform or something that I can put in the passenger seat to make it become one long, flat area for my dog.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen pictures of a platform someone made. I wish I could find them. It was a wooden board that had several supports on the bottom so that it fit the contour of the passenger footwell and sat sturdy and level. He then laid a mat across that and the seat and it gave his dog plenty of room to lay down.

The wooden platform was very easily removable. I say go for it!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

My dog will sit up for hours. However I've never got her to sit in the S. My dog oddly enough LOVES the trunk. Looking into the law of it though it's not legal.

I think if you want to move a full sized dog, you need a different car.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found it!!!

Old 08-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Former Sponsor

I used to take my bosses 60lb Pit/mix in my s2k, He didn't like to touge!

Evan
Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 PM

Anyone transport a big dog in the S?-9dfcytz.jpg
where do you get that platform
Old 08-29-2013, 01:20 PM

Man you guys have good dogs. Our mal-shi is a pint sized tazmanian devil.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:21 PM

yes! thank you! I need to make something like that. I have limited tools must do it all with a hand saw or a reciprocating saw haha

My dog gets stressed esp since the car is lowered and the ride is harsh. Every little turn is like glue for me but for her, she's sliding around, paws on the center console, face plant into door panel, etc. I like going top down and driving real slow she likes it.

Does anyone know who made that and if there's a how-to or something on it? Is that person still active on this board?

She's real comfy in the SUV but the suv isn't my car so.. need an alternative
Name:  LkyAPno.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  97.1 KB
Old 08-29-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off subject, but my dog absolutely loves to ride in the car! Shes a boxer/shepherd mix but shes tiny for her size. That platform looks awesome!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by _brandon
Off subject, but my dog absolutely loves to ride in the car! Shes a boxer/shepherd mix but shes tiny for her size. That platform looks awesome!

awesome

Quick Reply: Anyone transport a big dog in the S?