S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone replace the clutch disk? TSB00-054

Old 09-11-2004, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone replace the clutch disk? TSB00-054

Has anyone had their clutch disk replaced as per tsb00-054? I have that problem and Mahwah Honda is saying it'll cost ~650 for the work. I am out of the warranty and my extended service contract seems not to cover clutch disk.

I am not sure if I should just let them do it or try to bargain with them or go to another dealer. The service bulletin has a part that says that repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the service manager.

Also, I am not even sure if this is really worth doing since I have heard that this is not a fix of the problem. It just makes the noise less noticeable.

Thanks,
Old 09-11-2004, 10:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the chances are very low that you'll get it done free.

lots of people go into a dealer they have no relationship with and are upset when they won't do it for them. chances are MUCH MUCH higher if you have a relationship with the dealer. they may not do it free, but possibly at reduced cost.

example: I had the window auto-down problem and inquired about the fix. They said they'd look if I paid a diag fee, but no guarantees. It didn't look good. I then did a 45K service giving them $250 for inspection work...basically pure profit. Then, they did the window without even asking Honda!

The clucth buzz is a cosmetic problem and most won't do it free. My service advisor said that a new clutch is only a temp fix as all the ones they've done have the noise again later. I'd recommend you go aftermarket for your next clutch. Develop a relationship and see if they'll give you a break.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:03 AM

I got it done at Weseloh Honda here in southern california. The replaced my clutch, fixed my auto window problem, and replaced my spark plugs at no charge. Every dealer is different I guess. I thought TSB's are supposed to be honored by dealers no matter what the status with someone's warranty. Good luck

Jason
Old 09-12-2004, 06:09 AM

The best that I got from the dealer was they said they would pay for the part and I would pay for labor. I bought my 01 from them a week prior but since it was 2004 and the factory warranty was over they didn't fix it for me. I don't really even care to much about it anymore since it doesn't hurt the car. I'll just replace the stuff when they eventually break or wear out.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:48 AM

I've had it done twice - have 35000+ miles on the car. The first time it fixed the buzz, but it eventually came back louder than then ever. It was done the first time at Sussex Honda for free (I guess under warranty). Then I had it done a second time at Route 23 Honda (Pompton Plains). This time it was not under warranty, but I've purchased 5 cars from them over the years, so they didn't want to annoy me and lose my business (I guess). Right now it sounds great, but I am expecting it to come back. (I purchased the S2000 at Sussex - a friend worked there as salesman so I went to him - I was not happy with the TSB work at Sussex, however, - it took them four days to fix the clutch buzz - should only be a 1 day fix).

Try calling Honda of America and asking them if they will cover it.

Did you purchase you car at Mahwah Honda?? If you did, I'm surprised that they won't do it as part of "good will" to the customer. Ask to speak to the Manager of the place, and if you get nowhere, ask to speak to the owner. I've gone all the way to the owner and been successful in my complaints. Just make sure the complaints are legitimate, as in this case.

I understand that TSB's are not recalls and the dealership has the right to charge you or deny the service, etc. but you would think that if you buy the car there, they would do it. There are always ways the dealership can get the cost covered if not paid by the customer. It's been done in the past and will be done again in the future.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:07 AM

Had the TSB done on my car and the "buzz" has not returned. The dealer here in Texas needed to get approval from Regional Honda before they would replace the clutch. Perhaps you could go to the regional office and plead your case.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:42 AM

I know a guy that makes copper kevlar after market clutches for S2K's.
That might be the answer to your problem.
Contact me if interested.

Maxfrommisawa@aol.com
Old 09-15-2004, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

I've got GOOD NEWS

Mahwah Honda did replace my clutch free of charge. It was the place where I bought the car, and after I complained a bit to the service manager, he called the regional Honda rep and they said OK to do it. So today I just picked up my car after they finished the work.
I hope that the noise does not come back for me like it did for some of you.

Props to Mahwah Honda!!!
Old 09-15-2004, 11:29 PM

Great news indeed. I got mine replaced recently and it feels a lot different (my old clutch setup required more effort) whereas it's a lot softer now... I'd say the pedal effort has decreased 50%, no joke.

It's strange that the car doesn't make the buzzing sound anymore, but to me it's more important to have a clutch that grabs than anything else. It was really nice of my dealer to help me out in this situation.