S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

anyone NOT like to take their S to the track

Old 06-10-2008, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone NOT like to take their S to the track

if so, why not?
Old 06-10-2008, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll say I'm not big on it. The S is my fun weekend car. I love driving it through the hills. I definitely plan to take more driving courses with the S, but more geared towards accident avoidance and spin control stuff rather than the high speed track stuff.

If I'm going to the track, I'd rather be on my bike. Plus, I plan to sell the bike someday whereas I plan to keep the S. I'll baby it a bit more by keeping it off the track.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:16 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I know plenty of people who aren't into it. Mostly for one of two reasons - either the risk of severe damage, or the lack of any meaningful competition.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:42 AM

Well yea it is a pretty big risk for pretty much nothing other than enjoyment and adrenaline.

I go to the track so I don't race on the street though, simple as that. I need to go and get it out of me so I can putput all the way home

You really appreciate the cars capabilities on the track though and it's safe environment to push the limits. Driving through the hills would leave me wanting to push the corner harder and harder until i'm eventually wreckless. They can't take your licence away from a spin on the track. But a spin off a cliff in the canyons or into on coming traffic is a whole different story.

main thing is to keep it safe and don't push the limits on the street, there is a time and a place
Old 06-10-2008, 07:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My car is my daily driver and i really appreciate how new and tight everything feels even 6 years later. Maybe I am being paranoid but i just have it in my head that if i start tracking it, the car will deteriorate and not feel as good. The idea of hanging the engine at redline all day and pushing the suspension to the limit has to take its tole and be worse then just enjoying the car on city roads. I picture the transmission and suspension starting to make weird noises and just show signs of age. I Know its not a fair comparison, but my old civic I drove EXTREMELY hard with many autocrosses and just pushed it everytime i was in it. After 7 years of that the car was making all sorts of noises and the transmission was whining and complaining.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I see a lot of people talk about converting it to a full track car, going to the track a few times a season, go to some autox's, etc etc but never end up doing any of it.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:01 AM

Track-smack... i got Patterson Rd. LOL just kidding.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:10 AM

I love taking the Nurse to the track but I have to cut back my autocross days because she's my daily driver right now.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 AM

I know plenty of people who aren't into it. Mostly for one of two reasons - either the risk of severe damage, or the lack of any meaningful competition.
That's a pretty redundant answer. Not saying its your personal one but anyone who says that as their reasoning for not tracking is pretty lame (second reason). In order to prepare for competition, you have to pratice. Practice means tracking your car. Tracking your car means driving in HPDE's or regular open track days that are not competitions. Only when your skills are up to par, should you enter "meaningful competition". So essentially, the two go hand in hand.

the S2000 is not an inexpensive car (relative) so if you're in fear of damage then there's no shame in admitting it and avoiding track days. You are however, a douche if you give the second reason.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:15 AM

I love taking it to the track, but doing track days has a lot of expenses with it (which I cant afford right now). Hopefully I will start tracking the car more after my wedding and hopefully getting a Daily Driver.

Only thing I didn't like about the track was the slap in the face regarding how bad of a driver I really am . The instructer I had drive my car (after I had driven it for about three or four sessions) showed me how much skill and confidence I lack when it come to driving the S in track conditions.

Quick Reply: anyone NOT like to take their S to the track