S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: Anyone interested in a carbon fiber hood???
Yes, and I would be willing to put down a deposit ahead of time.
2.94%
Yes, but I am not willing to put down a deposit.
8.82%
I would consider it, depending on how it looks, price, etc.
44.12%
No way, I think cf hoods are ugly.
44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone interested in a carbon fiber hood???

Old 06-20-2001, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone interested in a carbon fiber hood???

A friend of mine was talking with someone from Kaminari yesterday about making a carbon fiber hood for the S2000. The guy from Kaminari said he would make it if he thought he could sell a few, but he doesn't think they would sell... Just to prove him wrong, how many people here would buy one? Their CF hoods are a full bolt-on replacement (no skinning of your stock hood). I believe they usually retail for around $900.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:58 AM

oh i just read the rest of the post, lol if i got a carbon fiber hood i would want it to definatly look differnt than the stock one.
<3 jen
veil side needs to make their hood in carbon fiber i would definatly get that.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:02 AM

I want the Mugen CF Hood
Old 06-20-2001, 09:10 AM

Personally, I would like the hood to look like stock, but if you want vents and scoops and klingon sh!t like that, I'm sure kaminari can do that.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:11 AM
S2R

Did you talk to Ben at Kaminari? He's a good guy. $900 is overpriced I'm afraid. Sam Yau offered his version for about $600 and MB Autosports (a sponsor) offers them for $495. So they're already available for the S2. No need to look for a new application.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:19 AM

Yeah, we talked to Ben.

Just a thought... how would you feel about a CF hood with a scoop leading into the air box for cold air? Only problem is - how do you keep rain out with a setup like that?

As for price, I was just guessing... their site says most of their hoods retail for $900. I'm sure they would price them competitively with everyone else's stuff.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:53 AM

Ok, I just finished reading the Mugen article (http://www.ginsberg.org/TokyoTrip/Docs/Mug...S2KDevPaper.htm) and from what I saw, the main area they saw as a problem was that the stock airbox sucks in very hot air. I just looked at the car and it looks like it would be VERY easy to make a hood with a ram air scoop right into the stock air box. That should make a pretty significant difference in performance since Mugen says they found the temperature of air sucked in through the stock air box to be 15-30 degrees C hotter than the ambient air temperature and they found the engine reacts very poorly to heated air.

So, a ram air scoop should make quite an improvement in performance.

I just got off the phone with Ben at Kaminari. He said his main concern is that he wont be able to sell enough of these if he makes them. That's a very legitimate concern. Now that the goal has changed from just making this an aesthetic piece to making it a true performance enhancing modification, how do you all feel about it?
Old 06-20-2001, 10:59 AM

I am interested if the CF hood gives perfomance gains.
Old 06-20-2001, 11:12 AM

I believe J's Racing CF Hood has the Ram Air Scoop on top, as well, I believe it retails at around $1200.

I can get the fiberimages.com hood for $500, which retails at $699.. thats a small savings.....
Old 06-20-2001, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by S2R
A while back Ben had asked me if I would let him use my car to design a body kit, but ultimately decided there would not be enough buyers to even bother. Did he give you the number of people needed to go ahead with the modified CF hood?
He wouldn't give me a number, he just said he will have to "do some research" on the market for such a thing. I'll give him a call in a few days to bother him and make sure he doesn't forget about us

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in a carbon fiber hood???