S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone fill up with Sunoco 94 Octane?

Old 04-07-2003, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by UFeniZe
haha i agree wif the eerieness, but theres another sunaco, down the road nexto Jim Mckays, that palces is just creepy.
jim mckays in fairfax? the only sunoco i know about is the one next to the subaru dealership in fairfax circle. can you tell me where the other sunoco station is?
Old 04-07-2003, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by OhioRacer

LOL. No, actually I stopped there (I assume you mean the staging point off I70) to get you guys to sign the waiver forms and then drove down the road to an Exxon or Shell or something.
So we stopped at that crappy BP, where that crazed bus driver tried to run over my S2000 on his quest to add air to one of his tires, when we could have simply gone down the street to get some real gas???

No harm, no foul, I guess. But next time, you're parking near the air pump.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StrangeDaze
[B]So we stopped at that crappy BP, where that crazed bus driver tried to run over my S2000 on his quest to add air to one of his tires, when we could have simply gone down the street to get some real gas???
Old 04-07-2003, 05:16 PM

Yeah, I was about to offer to move my car once I saw that he needed to get to the air hose and wasn't just parking there and blocking us in. But before I said a word, he started getting into it with somebody else and was copping an attitude, so I sat back and watched and left him alone.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by s2ksimon
we have ultra 94 in our neck of the woods and I too feel a difference, but not anything cataclismic, but there is a noticeable difference of power. However, I find the 94 burns quicker.
Actually the higher the octane number the SLOWER the gas burns. Gas is rated in octane, which is the fuels resistance to detonation. Thats why if we put 87 in our cars it will probably knock or ping. This is because the high compression of our engines create so much heat that the heat itself will set off the air/fuel mixture before the spark plug itself. This is called detonation, which is the mixture combusting before it is supposed to. This causes bad things because the mixture is burning while the piston is still going up. Thats two strong forces going against each other and if continued to do so....the piston will eventually lose and you will blow your engine. Our cars were designed to run off of 91 octane with no problems....and if your engine is stock or close to it (intake, exhaust, header) you wont need anything higher than 91 (93 over here cause thats what we are offered). If you have turbo/supercharger or built higher compression engine then it would benifit you to use higher octane fuel as it is a safegaurd. My previous car, a 97 turbo GSR, was running 9:1 compression and boosting 15p.s.i. daily and I never had a problem just running 93. If I went to the track and turned the boost up to around 20p.s.i. then I would put in some 100 octane just as a safe measure beacause that much boost there is lots of heat being produced. Putting in anything higher than you need is basically burning a fast hole in your pocket.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:25 PM

I'm sure Honda has tested and tuned the engine when it was in development to make sure it was compatible with 91 pump gas in all regions, hot or cold. Plus thats what the knock sensor is there for anyway. If a situation does occure when it is so hot outside and the engine is just sucking in hot air, you will notice a loss in power as the knock sensor can sense the first signs of detonation and retard the timing and also add more fuel to prevent detonation. I'd rather lose some power momentarily than to blow up my engine.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by razzele
in england we have higher octane fuels the standard is 95 octane... we can get a premiums at 97 octane and shell produce a fuel in conjuction with ferrari , this is known as optimax and is a very clean burning 98 octane fuel.... needless to say s2k's here are only fed shell's optimax- however we have to pay over 5dollars a gallon for even the cheapest fuel.. so s.california u ve got nothing to complain about.. u still pay less than us in the uk
I wonder if you have a different rating system for octane, razzele. This difference sounds rather extreme. I seem to recall there are multiple ways to measure octane.

Regarding cost... Yep, we yanks get quite the deal at the pump. Without getting into conspiracies and politics, most of us know we are very spoiled here.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:47 PM

i use sunoco 94 all the time..hate to use anything else..maybe i'll try some 100 octane this weekend.....damn civic turbo passed me by a car length at 110 mph!!!
Old 04-08-2003, 07:54 AM

isn't US octane measured at (R+M)/2 method or something? That's what's printed on the pumps in PA. I guess the "R" is what's used here in Europe as my fuel door says "Use 98 ROZ octane only."

So what would 98 ROZ equal in US gas terminology? What's this "M" method then?
Old 04-08-2003, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sunoco Untra 94
I use this almost all the time because it is the closest gas station to the house, and where I live, they have it on sale every Wednesday, so that is the day I buy gas for the S2000, the CRX-Si and the motorcycle. The only problem is I have not driven the car since 11/14/02 so I don't know what the price is.