S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone familiar with minor frame work....

Old 01-24-2002, 03:05 PM
MKH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone familiar with minor frame work....

if you wouldnt mind looking at these pics..

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=43839

is it possible that i bent the frame of my car going less than 10 mph?
shop says probably because of the gap between the bumper & light, but i cant believe it..

if infact i DO need the frame tugged on to get it 'straightened', should i be worried about the behavior of the car afterwards?
Old 01-24-2002, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly doubt that your frame was bent in such a low-speed collision. The dealer where my car is getting repaired right now had previous experience with a rolled-over S2000. According to the manager, not only was the frame not bent, all the new body panels matched up perfectly. Every single piece of the body had to be replaced. There were no uneven gaps at all. And best of all, the car still retained a clean title. He said after the guy picked up the car, he drove it down to LA (shop is in Monterey, see signature to understand why my car would be in a shop almost 400 miles away from home) and called and said that the car was "PERFECT!" My guess is that the person installing the bumper isn't doing it correctly. When I took off my bumper to install my horn, it took me a few attempts to actually get it back on aligned perfectly. And you might want to check the undertray, it could also be causing the bumper to not go on correctly if it is getting in it's way. That was my main problem when I was trying to put the bumper back on.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlikely that the frame was bent, but if it was, it can be fixed and you will never know the difference, if it's done right. The S2000 uses uni-body constuction, which means that the frame and body work together to provide support and stiffness. The frame is composed of a number of individual pieces which are either welded, bolted, or both together. Fixing the frame does not involve straightening, but instead, the affected piece of the frame is removed and a new one re-inserted.