S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone ever do this to tailgaters?

Old 05-19-2005, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I can understand where Timphipps comes from. As much as we try to respect other drivers out there, my incident was going on I think it was high way 64 in virginia trying to go to virginia beach (or maybe it was 65). Anyhow from charlottesville to the beach is a long drive and I have my car set cruising at 75 ( yes i know it is 10 mph over speed limits but I am not here to argue that...) while this 80's mustang came up behind to tailgate me. I kindly move over to the out side lane like I always do but he followed. just riding my bumper. I use engine break and slow down to 63 or so and he still wouldnt pass me from my right. and I just drop to third gear and gave a full out.(no traffic at that time it was around 8pm and we were not even at richmond yet so the traffic was null). I reached about 95 or so and went back to my 75 cruising. about a minute later I saw this guy came up going around 85 or 90, i guess he was trying to catch up with me and passed me. half an hour later I passed him with my 75 cruising speed at richmond and he was tailgating some poor camry. I daily drive on I40 and I got some of these crazy tailgating just to tailgate (too chicken to speed themselves in my opinion).

As for flashing slower driver, some hard headed people will purposely not to let you pass after you flash them in North Carolina... My wife and I enjoyed driving in Germany because most people will move over to the outside lane if they are slower... (not all of them but majority of them). it just make sense. I also have some people start slowing down because they start talking on the cell phone. I move over try to pass them and guess what... they speed up and refuse to let you pass... This kind of mentality... I can never understand.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just slow down to like 5mph.. and then when they go to pass drop it down a gear and get back up to speed faster thgan they can... so they have to pull back.. 2-3 times of this and they get real pissed...
Old 05-19-2005, 08:52 AM

Old 05-19-2005, 08:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some people are just too sensitive about being followed closely. I once had some idiot screaming at me out the window of his old pickup because I stopped about 6 feet from his rear bumper at a light.

He was really yelling up a storm telling me to back the f off and what the f was my problem and not be so close to his f-ing truck. It was funny hearing this because I was on my mountain bike at the time. The only reason why I stopped there is because he was blocking my path to make a turn.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by rijowysock,May 19 2005, 12:46 PM
i just slow down to like 5mph.. and then when they go to pass drop it down a gear and get back up to speed faster thgan they can... so they have to pull back.. 2-3 times of this and they get real pissed...
Great idea ... Make the person who's tail gating you even more mad. Send them into a road rage.

I don't want to hear that you did it to someone who was crazy and had a gun and find out you got shot ...

If its a multi-lane road and you can move over, let the faster car pass! Personally, I don't understand why people do shit like this, does it give you pleasure in knowing you're pissing someone else off? You're just as bad as the road raging person at that point, if not worse since you're the one who's egging them on to get pissed off.

I can understand the original poster since they're on single lane roads and in an area where there are pedestrians. But on the highway, just move over.

As far as flashing/honking ... I've noticed people in this area will get much more upset if you flash/honk them rather than just tail gate them. Flashing will almost always result in the person giving you the finger ... Honking, I'm assuming would result in the same.

I've almost been run off the road before by a crazy driver who was flashing/tail gating me in traffic and got mad when I didn't move over ... I can understand that you'd be pissed that someone is tail gating you. But for safety, you're better off just moving over.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:42 AM

ive had peple try to run me off the road.. thats why i carry a nice sized knife w/ me at all times.. id never use it but some people get cocky
Old 05-19-2005, 10:53 AM

i do what reuexpo said he does, i just slow the down even more untill he passes me.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:15 AM

I have found out somewhat first hand that if you turn on you hazard lights for a couple of seconds, the person really does back off. I was riding in my friends car and she was following too close, and the truck in front of us turned on the hazards. It scared us for a second because it wasn't the red brake light we are used to, and it wasn't a brake check either.

-Chase
Old 05-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by exceltoexcel,May 19 2005, 11:03 AM
This guy did nothing wrong the driver behind him did.
Looks like you missed the point.

HE'S FIGHTING ROAD RAGE WITH ROAD RAGE. THE INTELLIGENT AND MATURE THING TO DO WOULD BE TO PULL OVER AND LET IT GO.

Get it?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:39 AM

A bit off topic again, but here's what I witnessed 2 weeks ago...

My friends and I were heading back to work in my beater dodge spirit after several plates of indian buffet lunch. Needless to say, the weather was fine and we weren't in a massive hurry. There was quite a lot of lunchtime traffic on the go so there wasn't much point in hurrying anyway.

So we come up to a red light with me in the right hand side lane and a car beside me in the left hand lane. There was a big sign showing no right hand turns. Out of nowhere this plonker in a pizza delivery van comes squeezing up beside me on my right, rubbing his wheels off the curb (there are now three of us side by side in two lanes). He manages to get by and then proceeds to turn right illegally and on a red light. My friends and I are dumbfounded by this feckwits driving, and my mate says to me, there's never a peeler (cop) around when you need one. Not one second after he had finished his sentence, a police car comes up on my right with the bells and lights on, whips round the corner and pulls the plonker in.

There is a god after all

Quick Reply: Anyone ever do this to tailgaters?