S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone else have a gas cap that...

Old 08-21-2002, 09:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My gas cap fits like sh%%. It will click 3 times, but is barely on. I keep turning and then it goes all the way on, about 2 more full turns and then it clicks again. I checked some others on the lot and they were the same. Poor quality caps, or the threads are just slighty to large. I actually had gas come out under high cornering loads when I thought it was tight because the cap clicked.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mad gremlin trying to get loose...
Old 08-22-2002, 05:24 AM
Former Moderator

NNY S2k- I have a 2002. I don't know if it is limited to any one model year.

I drove my car hard last night on the way home and again smelled gas when I came to a stop. This time not only was it loose, I had some gas spillage like David1.

BTW, my dealer is great. I just got off the phone with them and I can come pick up a new cap today, no questions asked.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by david1
My gas cap fits like sh%%. It will click 3 times, but is barely on. I keep turning and then it goes all the way on, about 2 more full turns and then it clicks again. I checked some others on the lot and they were the same. Poor quality caps, or the threads are just slighty to large. I actually had gas come out under high cornering loads when I thought it was tight because the cap clicked.
This is my situation also!

I have oiled the cap threads but have had no luck making it better.

I have to be so careful (think slow) when I put the cap on and turn it because if I go too fast it starts to click right away like the cap is on tight, when in reality it is just barely on the threads. I have found if I go slow I can get the cap past the part where it meats the resistance and then threads down a good two full revolutions until it starts to click again. Then I count to 5 clicks as I turn it very slowly.

What ever the problem is, the cap or the threads in the tank neck, I have found turning the cap very slow gets you past the initial resistance where the cap will want to click, a place that is no where near tight or even on very far.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ubetit
[B]BTW, my dealer is great.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:24 PM

I NEVER TAKE MY GAS CAP OFF, so I don't have this problem! How do I manage this? Thought you would never ask. I just bought myself one of those aftermarket caps that you don't have to remove. It has a round hinged flap in the center that you push open with the filler nozzle and it's spring loaded so it seals when you remove the nozzle. They are advertised in a lot of car catalogs and work great.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:50 PM

Do you have a pic of this cap?
Old 08-22-2002, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by david1
I have been experiencing the same problem (clicking when it's not fully tightened down) with my poorly fitting gas cap. I've just learned to eyeball when it's clicking and not all the way on. When that happens, I just take the cap all the way off and try it again. When it does go on perfectly, I can feel it start to tighten up, then get loose, then tighten up again, and finally click that it is fully on. Very strange indeed, but you get used to it after a few fillups.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:36 PM

This seems to be a bigger problem than I first thought.When I had this problem back in June the tech's at Honda were looking at me like I was crazy.
Old 08-22-2002, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the plastic center piece get bigger with age? I kinda noticed it fitting tigher, just this last time.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have a gas cap that...