S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

anyone converted '00-01 soft-tops to '02 w/glass ?

Old 09-07-2002 | 07:30 PM

Default anyone converted '00-01 soft-tops to '02 w/glass ?

I am curious if anyone has tried to convert the tops from the 2000 and 2001 to the 2002's top?

I asked at my local dealer and was told it is possible for about $1200 or so. I do worry about water tightness and fitment issues when tampering with the factory installation.

cheers

W
Old 09-07-2002 | 07:46 PM

A few have.....

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=75809
Old 09-08-2002 | 12:58 PM

And how can you miss the newest thread, posted just before you posted your question:

Notice anything different?. Just read some of the posts and you'll find the answer you are looking for.
Old 09-08-2002 | 01:36 PM

I would have never guessed that "notice anything different" means that somene converted their softtop to '02...I guess I am pretty DUMB for not making the connection!!! I love the absolute accuracy in subject detail!

Furthermore none of the above 2 threads were conversions done at ones own expense. the first was insurance, and the second was a token payment.

Lastly there is still no comment on water tightness, fitment issues, if any, when the work is performed at a dealer vs. assembly line in Japan.

I do think the first linked thread had very useful info on different roof profiles when a conversion is performed. That is something I did not give much consideration to.

I wonder overall if its a worthwhile conversion. When I look at other sports cars that are considered to be with in the same spirit as the S2000 in their day, I find that modded cars, after 10 years, are worth less than original cars. Absolutely original examples are sought after and increase in value too due to the popularity of "upgrading' at the time those cars were new. To be specific, I will refer to cars like twin turbo 3rd gen. rx-7's since I have one, especially the rare yellow R1 examples, if found untampered with hold a great value (blue book rarely applies to that car). I am pretty sure cars like 300ZX twin turbos are the same way. Also with age, the type of owners has changed dramatically for those cars. As the cars decrease in value (after 5-8 years) less and less of their respective new owners spend the money required for their upkeep. As a result low milage, original/unmoddified 3rd gen rx-7's will fetch excellent resale ($20k+), which is very good for a 10+ year old car that sold for $35k new.

So the point of all was for me to try weigh the advantage of better rear visibilty vs preserving originality. The S2000 is one of those rare cars that I can see decreasing dramatically in value after 5 years before the market turning with 10 years to increase in value for original examples.

Any opinions are appreciated.

cheers

W
Old 09-09-2002 | 07:32 AM

Originally posted by Wael El-Dasher
I would have never guessed that "notice anything different" means that somene converted their softtop to '02...I guess I am pretty DUMB for not making the connection!!! I love the absolute accuracy in subject detail!
I am sorry that others cannot provide an accurate subject, but you asked and we ALL tried to help, by doing your reading for you. Even if you did not notice the thread by its subject line, we provided you with the link, so you can have an answer to your question. And now you are upset with us for giving you the links, how ungrateful is that?

Furthermore none of the above 2 threads were conversions done at ones own expense. the first was insurance, and the second was a token payment.
Well, to use your own subject line "anyone converted '00-01 soft-tops to '02 w/glass ?" did you ask if the conversions were paid completely out of pocket? You asked a simple question and we provided a simple answer: "YES, people have converted." Again, for giving you the answer to the question you asked, we become the target of your rant because we didn't read your mind that you wanted replacements "at ones own expense". I am sorry, maybe you should open your mind a little bit more so we can all see what is inside.

You want my comments, you got my comments.
Old 09-09-2002 | 10:39 AM

whites2k

I am sorry but I didn't want to stir things here . I appreciate nascar24 pointing out the link. But your tone was not friendly from the beginning when you said "And how can you miss the newest thread". I am not sure what you meant by that, but if sounded aggressive to me and completely uncalled for, as if to say "how dare I ask that question when its right there in the newest thread", as if no 2 similar threads can co-exists, as if I broke a sacred rule...whatever. I didn't make the connection from the subject line, big deal, there was no need to be aggressive about it. Besides nascar24 already pointed out a link, not sure what compelled you to respond that way.

I don't have time to read all the posts, I only read what interests me, I do know that many have that the time to read all the post, I am not one of them, but here is what I do... I go to FAQ's and I also read the Modifications section, when I don't find what I am looking for, I post.

You could have been non-aggressive from the begining. I am not mad at members as in your quote "we provided you with the link, so you can have an answer to your question. And now you are upset with us" You personally provided me with NOTHING, only nascar24 was nice enough to contribute something useful, so I don't see where the "we" and "us" part applies here, it was all you that I am upset with.

As far as the subject heading bit, most people pay for their parts, the 2 cases I have seen were exceptions, so they are not indicative of cost for other owners considering the idea.

I still think I haven't found the answers I am looking for, but that's OK, that only means no one here really has enough experience to comment about long term issues, fitment issues...etc.

So good luck whites2k and hope to meet you down the line on friendlier terms.

cheers

W.
Old 09-09-2002 | 11:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wael El-Dasher
[B]I am sorry but I didn't want to stir things here . I appreciate nascar24 pointing out the link. But your tone was not friendly from the beginning when you said "And how can you miss the newest thread".
Old 09-09-2002 | 12:41 PM

...let's drop it and move on, you keep misreading my posts and keep speaking for other people, I don't see anyone else offended...by the same token you tell me the reverse is also true, so nothing is getting accomplished here. There has been no contribution to the FAQ or Modification section based on the knowledge gained here or other threads on this subject, so lets call a truce and move on...OK? Anyway I reported this thread to the moderator

cheers

W
Old 09-09-2002 | 12:57 PM

Must be a west coast - east coast kinda thing.
Old 09-09-2002 | 01:24 PM

LOL! I was thinking the same thing

Quick Reply: anyone converted '00-01 soft-tops to '02 w/glass ?