S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Any dealers allow test drives?

Old 02-24-2001, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went down to the Honda dealer today to look into picking up an S2000 for myself (hard to resist temptation to just snap one up!), and I inquired about a test drive. He said to me, "We don't do test drives on S2000's. In fact nobody in town does."

Is it true? Even though I'm sure it's a great car to drive (as I currently own a 98 Prelude), there's still some uncertainty about buying one without even seeing what there all about.

Did anyone test drive one before they bought their S2000?

Jason

-----------------------
Check out my sites:

http://www.LosAngelesGasPrices.com
http://www.TwinCitiesGasPrices.com
etc...
Old 02-24-2001, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor

If you post your city, I'll bet you could convince some
kind owner to give you a check ride!

James
Old 02-24-2001, 01:40 PM

Depends on where you live, your age, your reputation and the perception of how much money you make (jeans vs $1000 custom suit) sorry but that's the way it is. In all due humility I was given the keys and told to come back when I was done. There were 1.5 miles on the car. Put 100 miles on the car, I bought it when I got back.
Mark
01 TheBlackBeast #0090
Old 02-24-2001, 09:59 PM

I'm in the Twin Cities, Minnesota. We just go 6 inches of snow today, so it wouldn't be a good time to take a test drive anyways.

I wasn't dressed like a slob when I went in there - I had dockers and dress shoes on... My winter jacket somewhat cheapened my appearance. I can't stand it when the salespeople lie to your face like that. I guess I won't be buying from that dealership.

Anyone else take test drives/get told that you couldn't?

Jason
Old 02-24-2001, 10:37 PM

here in north miami friendly honda let me cruise in a red/black b/c i have been waiting for my yellow and i have been in the dealer everyday sitting in the white one. so i asked and they said ok. it was awesome. makes me not able to wait any longer.
rev2red
Old 02-25-2001, 05:09 AM

I'm in N Florida & a S Georgia dealer allowed my wife & I to spend an hour in the 00 his wife had driven till her 01 showed up. All the other dealers in the SE I spoke to wanted at least a deposit check in hand or a paid in full check in hand. I feel very fortunate to have had the opp. to get a test drive let alone one an hour long!!! BTW, I wansn't wearing an $1000 suit either, Khaki shorts & Polo shirt. Interestingly enough though I had a Toyota dealer ask me for one of my business cards (even though I was in my wifes 01 QX4) in order to test drive an MR-2 Spyder. Needless to say I thanked the salesperson at the end of the drive & promptly said that his sales Mgr. had just ruled out any possibility of getting my business ever! I'm sure I'm not on their mailing list anymore....
Old 02-25-2001, 07:22 AM

My dealer had a used '00 with about 5k miles on it. I expressed that I was ready to buy depending on two things, 1) a reasonable price, and 2) a test drive. Since I had purchased from them in the past, they agreed to let me take a test drive (in the used one). The salesman rode with me (of course) but I later found out it was his first ride in an S2000. He has a new appreciation for the car!!! After parking the car back at the dealership I shook his hand and walked into the showroom to meet my new car. I was sold!!

I highly recommend driving a car with more than 2k miles. You can put it through its paces and get a real feel for its overall performance.
Old 02-25-2001, 10:33 AM

I test drove an s2000 with 30 miles on it. I made an arrangement with the dealership through the internet. They gave me an online quote and offered me to come down and test drive it. I went yesterday jeans and a buttoned down shirt, plus i'm only twenty-two, no questioned asked and they let me take it by myself which I was kind of suprised.
I'm going to place an order within the month.
Old 02-25-2001, 01:07 PM

You know there's nothing wrong with khakis, or jeans or $1000 suits, it's what's inside the chest that counts BUT nobody can argue that first impressions can either pave the way or make it difficult. That was my point.
Mark

ps: I was just thinking, I have 2 22yr old males in my office, 1 in jeans, 1 in a nice suit, do I treat them both with the same level of competence, yes! do I see them a little differently, I think so. For what it's worth.

[Edited by drmark on 02-25-2001 at 02:26 PM]
Old 02-25-2001, 01:41 PM

All i did was walk into the dealership, started talking to some guy about it and i asked him if i could sit in it..i wasn't even gonna take it out for a ride but he just said, 'well, let's take this thing out!' ..i was kinda surprised being 23 yrs old, dressed casually but it was a nice gesture..i bought a stook from them a week after..

Quick Reply: Any dealers allow test drives?