S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anti-speed camera number plate frames

Old 11-14-2000, 01:41 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few people here in Oz have mentioned number plate frames/covers you can buy that supposedly 'foil' speed cameras.

Anyone ever tried them?

While I was looking for the answer myself I came across these interesting perspectives on speeding, radar etc..
http://www.netcolony.com/members/ozimotorists/

This next one seems like some HACK3R DoOD penned it but an amusing read nonetheless.
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~verysoft/speeding/
Old 11-14-2000, 03:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Heard about these a few years back and heard mixed reports.

Fixed speed cameras are popping up all over the place around here and I have to say I'm a little worried about them. I also suspect the frames work by reflecting or refarcting the excess light from a flash. Many of the new systems don't require a flash at least during daylight hours so these frames might be a little limited.

The other systems I've read about are designed to transmit white noise to a laser speed gun. But they weren't very effective. Search the BBS for 'radar detedtor' and you'll see the links I followed.

Let me know what you find out.
Old 11-14-2000, 08:15 AM

Just thought I would chime in here. A bud of mine from college used to live in Virginia (I think I can't remember may have been NY) anyhow phot radar was used a lot. He got a license plate cover that was perfectly legible from directly behind the vehicle, but was blurry from an angle. It didn't matter about the flash from a camera. It was like those little picture that had the ridges on them from the crackerjack box. Look at the picture one way it was a duck, tilt it at an angle and it was a cow That type of technology.
Old 11-14-2000, 05:40 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2K_LA:
[B]Just thought I would chime in here.
Old 11-15-2000, 03:11 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They work I have one on my GSX. Got it as a gift don't know who makes them, but I will check. S2K_LA is correct it depends on the angle. The photo radars are used here in NYC to catch people running red lights. There is actually a website with the listed lights.
Old 11-15-2000, 03:20 AM

Hey Muz (Murray I presume), having picked up 2 tickets in the last 2 weeks from speed cameras (and having had a clean record for the 2.5 years before) I am extremely interested in whatever you discover.

Keep us posted and if you organise a group buy put me head of the list. Garry.C.
Old 11-15-2000, 04:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple I found
http://www.photoblock.com/
http://www.radarbusters.com/covers.htm
Old 11-15-2000, 04:34 AM

have your friendly x ray tech. at the hospital develop an unexposed 8x10 film. cut it out to overlay your tag. that oughta do it..
Old 11-16-2000, 02:33 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spike:
[B]have your friendly x ray tech. at the hospital develop an unexposed 8x10 film.
Old 11-16-2000, 02:34 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Come to think of it .. most new window tints these days contain metal. Wonder if this would work? Just a trip to the local window tinting place for some scrap offcuts would be pretty cheap.

Quick Reply: Anti-speed camera number plate frames