S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Another Very Close Call

Old 11-20-2000, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To make a long story short: this morining on the Washington, DC beltway, going 85-90mph I had inappropriately rose to the challenge of an Integra. I swerved hard left and in the recovery over-steered so that the rear of the car came around. While doing my 360 turn, I crossed four lanes of traffic. The traffic was moderately heavy and it was a miracle that I chose to engage in my foolishness in a gap in the flow. At one point I was skidding straight backwards looking at the terrified expression on the driver of the car about 50 yards to my front (rear). When the car came around to the front, I was on the right shoulder. The car barely rubbed a steel barrier and there is only a hundred dollars worth of paint damage to the rear bumper. It is true what they say, everything goes in slow motion and your life passes before your eyes. I will stop by my Church on the way home and light a candle to the many Saints who interceded on my behalf today. I hope I have the sense never to that again.
Old 11-20-2000, 10:10 AM

Glad you are ok....
what happened to the integra?

I'm glad you 're Ok. After a similar experience, I've never been tempted to race. Kept thinking about my two young kids.

What part of the beltway were you racing on?

[This message has been edited by David (edited November 20, 2000).]

Glad your OK. I'll save you the long version of the speech and just say, the DC beltway... in AM traffic
Old 11-20-2000, 10:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David:
[B]I'm glad you 're Ok.
Old 11-20-2000, 10:19 AM

If the Lord was riding with you, you better let him ride with me; you're gonna kill him!
Old 11-20-2000, 10:20 AM

Phewww, Dliodoir count your blessings! Glad to hear you're ok.
Old 11-20-2000, 11:10 AM
Banned

All these stories just help me justify not driving this car in the rain or the cold.

Glad you are OK.
Old 11-20-2000, 11:29 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by meat:
All these stories just help me justify not driving this car in the rain or the cold.

Glad you are OK.
How about just not driving like an idiot on public highways? If you push the limits of the car at some point you're going to lose control of it. If you do it on the street you put other, innocent people at risk. I find these stories very disturbing. I hope I'm not alone. It seems many people on this board only care about the occupants of the S2K and if the S2K made it through OK. There should be more concern for the innocent bystanders who are affected by idiot drivers who will race at 80-90 MPH on a public highway during "moderately heavy" traffic. We shouldn't be thinking of these stories as "close calls" with happy endings. People should be chastised for driving like an idiot when they put others at risk. This car was made for the race track. If you want to push the limits of the car do it there.
Old 11-20-2000, 11:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Strike:
[B] How about just not driving like an idiot on public highways?

Quick Reply: Another Very Close Call