S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

another new member

Old 02-17-2001, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my yellow S2000 today and I love it! I traded in my 4 month old 2001 Miata LS which is a great and fun little car but I originally planned on getting an S200 anyway, so here I am. Better late than never huh?

I found out about the S2000, or SSM (Sport Study Model) as it was know then, about 5 years ago while I was surfing some Japanese automotive web sites. I told some of my friends who work at the local Honda dealer that I have been buying from for about 8 years but they had not heard about it and doubted that it would ever be produced. A year or two later, it finally began to seem like a reality and early in 99, I told them that they would need to start a waiting list and I would be number one with a silver/red combo as my choice. A few months before it came in, I was told that the owners were going to ask $8-10k over MSRP and that they would not make any exceptions so I was kind of upset since I had been a loyal customer, having purchased three Hondas from them and bringing them a lot of referral business.

I basically gave up on getting one because I didn't figure that I would ever get a good deal on one and I joined my local Miata club and was having a lot of fun with the great people I met, so I finally broke down and got my 2001 Miata last October. I didn't really miss having the S2000 until a friend of mine got one and let me drive it and also because I saw a yellow one,the one that I now have, at my Honda dealer when I took my Miata by to show my friends there.

A couple of weeks ago, my friend with the black S2000 called me to go grab some lunch and it was such a nice day here in Austin that we took some time that afternoon to drive around. As fun as my Miata was, I really missed the power that the S2000 has and was reminded of it every time we took off and he left me behind. This stayed in the back of my mind and on Friday I took my 99 Accord EX V6 Coupe in for an oil change and the yellow S2000 that I had seen earlier in November was still there so I asked what kind of deal I could get on it. I was a pretty good offer and I decided to take the plunge and I have been out all day enjoying it. The only things that I dislike as compared to the Miata are the plastic window and crappy stereo but there are so many positives that I can forgive those two details.

Here are a few pics from the showroom floor after I decided to take it and had them close the top, lock the doors, and put a sold sign on it. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?...8127&a=11629274

If the weather stays nice on Sunday, I will try to take some nice digital pictures outside somewhere. Anyway, I am eager to meet the other local S2000 owners so let me know when you will be getting together next.
Old 02-17-2001, 10:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Captain, welcome aboard...! (pun intended.. ) There is a great group in Austin that loves to do things. I'll make sure that Sondra sees your post, but she doesn't need my help...

Welcome to the club...!

Old 02-17-2001, 11:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Captain, welcome (Greg knows me too well)!

I'm glad to see you here, and since you're looking for some photo ops, maybe you would be interested in joining me and another S2000 owner (Schatten) Sunday afternoon for a drive?

I'll email my phone number to you if you're interested, or if I find that your email isn't available, you can email me at SondraS2K@austin.rr.com.

See you soon, and be sure to watch Meets and Events for news of upcoming gatherings! The soonest one is this coming Friday, if I remember correctly...
Old 02-17-2001, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Sondra S2K
I'm glad to see you here, and since you're looking for some photo ops, maybe you would be interested in joining me and another S2000 owner (Schatten) Sunday afternoon for a drive?
Oh my gosh! Sondra's moved from Florida to Austin, TX!

So much closer to Wyoming, Sondra, maybe I can drive down for a quick afternoon drive with you and eh um a Schatten...

Barry in Wyoming...
Old 02-18-2001, 05:12 AM

Sunday drive? Let me know if it happens, I'm def. interested. I was going on a motorcycle ride this morning, but it's a little chilly for riding w/ perforated leathers!

Best way to get hold of me is via my mobile phone, 789-6452.

Captain, looks like you got the one from Howdy Honda. Similar to your experience, my prior relationship didn't go too far in getting a reasonable deal, so I flew to LA for mine. You really don't want to know what I did to it when I sat in it after they got me PO'd w/ their greed! j/k

It's ironic how I thought I was getting the "rare" color when I bought mine, & now it seems like 2 or 3 new yellow owners are coming on board just in the last week or so.

I look forward to meeting all of you Friday if not today on a drive!
Old 02-18-2001, 07:59 AM

I am definitley up for a drive and photo shoot today. I can't open mine up yet since I don't even have 100 miles on it yet but it wold be nice to meet you guys, take a drive, and snap some shots. I have a freind who has a black S2000 so I will ask him if he wants to go along as well.

Thanks,

Kirk
Old 02-18-2001, 08:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Aye, Aye, Captain. You've got a lot of ship mates in Texas. If the orders I get are any indication, there may be more owners in Texas than anywhere else.

The Miata is a great car, but this is a whole different experience. Glad you're here.
Old 02-18-2001, 09:03 AM

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes so far and I look forward to great drives and chats with all of you. What a great we car all own!

Kirk
Old 02-18-2001, 11:04 AM

Welcome to the S2000 community. One of your fellow Austinites, John David, attended our Houston meet yesterday. He also has that beautiful yellow color.

Join in on all the meets and events that you can. They are alot of fun.
Old 02-18-2001, 02:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joe_s2k
[B]

Welcome to the S2000 community. One of your fellow Austinites, John David, attended our Houston meet yesterday.

Quick Reply: another new member