S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Another Exhaust Question, Sorry!

Old 08-13-2002, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Exhaust Question, Sorry!

I personally would like the exhaust system to be a tad bit louder. I've heard that the Mugen exhaust is supposedly the quietest. I'm not expecting any hp gain, but more so looking for just a little more sound. My question is, how free flowing is the catalytic converter on a stock s2000? Would changing the cat increase sound levels?

For a reference, I love the sound of a Porsche 996 or 993. I also love the sound of a Ferrari, but I wouldn't think our 4 cyl. could produce the same sound without getting considerably loud. I don't like the sounds of all those Civics with loud boomy exhaust systems though. Can anyone help me with this issue? Thanks in advance!

Oh, and another thing, does anyone have a different exhaust tip on their stock exhaust system? I think it looks nice, but looks a little bulky to me. The oval tips on the Supersprint Exhaust system is nice. I was thinking of getting NSX tips, but might look a little too small for the car. Any pics of different exhaust tips?
Old 08-14-2002, 01:31 AM

Anyone?
Old 08-14-2002, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spanky, as you have guessed, everyone's a little tired of exhaust questions. The Mugen exhaust is probably what you're looking for except for the price. I have the Neuspeed exhaust and it's a little louder than stock, but has a deeper note to it. I absolutely love it. You really should come to Oahu and check out my car and smccurry's as he has the J's N1 exhaust. We're the only two on the island that I know of that have aftermarket exhausts. I suggest you take a closer look at the Neuspeed exhaust, there's a video clip of the sound here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=47652 Also, if you look half way down in that thread, there's a video clip of smccurry's exhaust too.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:58 AM

Sorry, I didn't answer your question about the cat converter. I don't know! I would assume that changing over to a less restrictive one would increase the sound, but I can't back that up with any proof since I don't know how the stock mufflers were made and if they sound different with a higher flow rate.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:33 AM

Thanks Rick! The Neuspeed exhaust sounds great! Just a little too loud for my personal preference though, but nice throaty sound! Maybe I will get the Mugen system. I'm happy with the stock exhaust system, but a little more sound wouldn't hurt. I'm still looking forward to meeting up with all of you, but have been quite busy. Last time I was on Oahu, was only there for 2 hours before I went to Vegas. I'll get there sooner or later. Thanks Rick!
Old 08-14-2002, 08:25 PM

If you're thinking about getting the Mugen exhaust, now is the time to do it. Discounts are very rare for Mugen parts, but RandD Motorsports is hosting one in the Group Buys section and it's over on Friday. The full retail is $1500 and the group buy price is $1275.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 PM

you could take your car to a muffler shop get a magnaflo 2.5" resinator to replace the other one and have it installed. This made the tone perfect as well as kept the exhaust flow with no restrictions on my last car.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 PM

i have a fujitsubo. i like it. removing the cat makes a difference. i have before/after videos on youtube which you can compare...sound is not exactly accurate of course, but you can at least tell the changes. look under user 'rustywave' on youtube.

aem v2, v2+fuji, v2+fuji+berk test tipe
Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn, from 2002.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6 year old exhaust thread, nice!

Quick Reply: Another Exhaust Question, Sorry!