S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Annoying thought about the start button....

Old 03-17-2001, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone...

I was thinking about this the other day.

With all the hype surrounding the ignition start button, why didn't Honda design a circuit kill to it after the engine's running? It couldn't be that much harder to do.

I mean, I'm rarely tempted to twist the ignition key once the engine's started in my other cars, but... a big, bright red button... right at your fingertips... taunting you...

And don't read too much into this- it's just a thought, not a "problem area" that needs to be addressed. Has this topic been visited before?
Old 03-17-2001, 03:30 PM

But the clutch has to be in before the button will do anything... so if you were just driving down the road, should be ok, right?

-Shing
Old 03-17-2001, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, you apparently have WAAAAY to much time on your hands...! (Hmmm, that sounds familiar...)

Second of all, the key won't do anything if you turn it with the motor running. But if you push in the clutch while the engine is running and push the button, you will hear the starter try to "re" start the motor. Kids, don't try this at home...

Yea, they could have prevented this easily, but this would only prevent miscreants like you from doinking around with your S2000 and then asking silly questions...

Old 03-17-2001, 03:45 PM

Hi Greg-

Thanks for your wonderful insight... I'll try to keep the verbal abuse to a minimum next time I see ya... NOT! (you cretin...lol)

Shing-

I was just thinking about it... In my other line of work I had to de-bug electro-mechanical designs in the preproduction phase, and we tried every conceivable way to make goofy things happen- just to minimise problems consumers would see.
Old 03-17-2001, 04:40 PM
Banned

I don't have an s2000 at the moment but i was just wondering..
wouldn't it be cool if the start button lit up?
I was thinking maybe you can't see it at night..
...or you step into the car
...put the key into the keyhole and turn it
...the engine start button lights up
...its ready to go...you push

maybe i get really happy with the small things in life, but seriously..i think its cool =)
Old 03-17-2001, 04:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nick, I agree. If they are gonna give us something as stupid as the clutch lockout, they could do something more useful with the start button.
Old 03-17-2001, 07:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Clutch lock out is US market thing. JDM and AUS S's don't have it (Don't know about EU). I believe it's because manuals (or sticks as you like to call them) are far more common in these countries so we're more used to making sure the car is out of gear before starting.

On another note, I was reading about the TVR Cerberos (SP?) the other day. It has a black start button and a red kill button. Also, it has no key whatsoever and relies on the key fob to unlock and mobilise (or disengage immobiliser).
Old 03-17-2001, 07:28 PM
ST

Hey Shing-a-ling,

How's it going bro'? You got an S now?! Kool!!! When, how, details bro'..email me...

Sorry for the slight OT all...

Originally posted by shingles
But the clutch has to be in before the button will do anything... so if you were just driving down the road, should be ok, right?

-Shing
[Edited by ST on 03-17-2001 at 08:30 PM]
Old 03-17-2001, 08:10 PM

As I recall there a few other owners with impaired impusle control and intrusive uncontrollable urges to push the big red button while the engine was running. Their reports were fairly uniform - if the handbrake was engaged the engine start button would function even with the engine running. Recognizing this is an altogether bad thing, they're all taking lithium now and are feeling somewhat better.

Good luck to you.

2x6spds
Old 03-17-2001, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2x6spds
[B]As I recall there a few other owners with impaired impusle control and intrusive uncontrollable urges to push the big red button while the engine was running. Their reports were fairly uniform - if the handbrake was engaged the engine start button would function even with the engine running. Recognizing this is an altogether bad thing, they're all taking lithium now and are feeling somewhat better.

Quick Reply: Annoying thought about the start button....