S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Almost there

Old 01-15-2003, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost there

Well after along time waiting and doing research on the Honda S2000, I finally went over to the dealership and filled the paper work out. I am still confused though and maybe some of you guys can help.

I am a 22 year old recent college grad who just started working at a big firm in NYC. I live in Staten Island so my commute into Manhattan is done through the Express Bus. I leave for work at 7:30AM and arrive back at home around 6:30PM. Now here is the dilemma. Since my younger sister is in her last year of HS and she currently doesn't own a car (I live 10 blocks from her HS), I allow her to drive my car around for the day rather than having it sit at the bus stop while she is car-less. She doesn't know how to drive stick but I plan on teaching her on a beater this weekend. My parents don't drive stick as well but they also have their own cars. I still feel a little guilty buying a 2 seater car b/c my whole family can't sit in it. I also have a younger sister away at school that comes home during break so I would feel bad that the car only sits two people. I also spoke with a friend of mine who loves the s2k, but complains that the s2k is not a very livable car. So then I decided on getting the E36 M3 but found out that my insurance would be out of the roof so I came back to the s2k. My younger sister is going away to school this august so it will just be me mom and dad at home with three cars. Am I making the right move getting this car or am I being selfish??????
Old 01-15-2003, 04:43 PM

Very kind and humble attitude class act!, but honestly you won't regret it......BELIEVE ME!! Go for it! Your sister will thank you for it, HS+2 seater droptop= happy kid
Old 01-15-2003, 04:50 PM

I have spent all of my life being considerate to everyone I have met including Family, I thought this is what I was suppose to do to be a kind loving soul and for the most part you are and should be. I was such a kind loving soul I would neglect my own happiness to help others thinking that was the way it was to be - I would do without so others could have, Some people appreciate it but most I have found do not! The classic "Givers and Takers".
I don't want this to sound like I am jaded but you have to be able to be honest with yourself and enjoy the short life we have here and that includes the gratuitous drive to the Hamptons in your S2000 for a getaway with or without a family member. Take your mother for a drive in the convertible to rekindle a memory from her youth!
I guess what I am trying to say is get it, drive it and be thankful
Old 01-18-2003, 01:22 PM

Must agree!
Old 01-18-2003, 03:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you spoken with m & d to talk about your situation this summer?

Given that you're just starting to go to work, you might wanna pocket some of that cash for a few years before shelling out for a new car (hopefully an S )... I don't know your situation.

Anyway, best wishes on your choice! It's good to have them!
Old 01-18-2003, 03:41 PM

I have spent all of my life being considerate to everyone I have met including Family, I thought this is what I was suppose to do to be a kind loving soul and for the most part you are and should be. I was such a kind loving soul I would neglect my own happiness to help others thinking that was the way it was to be - I would do without so others could have, Some people appreciate it but most I have found do not! The classic "Givers and Takers".
I don't want this to sound like I am jaded but you have to be able to be honest with yourself and enjoy the short life we have here and that includes the gratuitous drive to the Hamptons in your S2000 for a getaway with or without a family member. Take your mother for a drive in the convertible to rekindle a memory from her youth!
I'm with this guy. "Nice guys finish last!" Screw the family and get the S2000!.

Swordfish
Old 01-19-2003, 12:07 AM

Come on man, isn't this something you can decide for yourself? You know your personal situation better than anyone else.

Since you are signing papers on an S2000, my guess is that you've already driven it. If you still can't make up your mind after driving the car, then maybe this isn't the car for you. Every S2000 owner that I've ever spoken with knew it was the car for them from the first time they rowed through those gears...
Old 01-19-2003, 12:45 AM

The only person who should influence your decision is yourself, a good question to ask yourself is "Two months down the road, am I going to be able to live with this car and am I still going to be happy with it?" Reason being, I bought an S to use as a daily driver several months back, I was extremely pleased with the performance, it was definitely the most exciting car I've ever owned but could not stand the harsh ride and my body was getting punished for it (imagine this: aggravated hernia, 100-150 miles per day in DC), I had to give it up and now I am in search of a beater ( I really miss the S2000 and plan to get one again ). It's good that you are thinking of your family, but ultimately you are buying the car for yourself. I hope you haven't taken it past 6000rpms!! 'cause once you do that's the point of no return!! It's like a drug, way too addicting.....must....vtec......must.....vtec
Old 01-19-2003, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree with everyone else who has responded to you.

There's no way I'd leave my S2000 parked at a bus stop all day.

There's no way I'd lend my S2000 to a high school student to drive to school.

Buy the S2000 for you to drive, if you want to. Buy a beater for your current needs. Get a nice stick shift older Honda or Toyota. Enjoy it.

Think about how much you'll worry about your $30,000 new car sitting at a bus stop lot or worry that you're sister will kill herself in it.

Be really selfish. Buy a car for you and only use it yourself. That's what I did.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:15 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't disagree with your post, Barry. Yours is a somewhat more pedantic way of saying what I said.

The worry factor is an excellent point! That, of course, depends on the person.

Quick Reply: Almost there