S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

almost forgot why i didnt go in chat rooms (venting)

Old 03-12-2002, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wisconsin S2k
[B]If the car he is getting has slits in the hood up by the windshield it's an LT1 and you should be able to beat him as long as you drive decent.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by jschmidt
The real question is what were you doing on AOL.
My thoughts exactly. You didn't expect to get thoughtful, objective, intelligent conversation there, did you?
Old 03-12-2002, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are ignorant people no matter where you go. They are the majority whether you are into european, asian, or american cars. Spend enough time around here and you'll find plenty of ignorant people stretching the truth about the s2000.

Just FYI, you're going to have a hard time arguing against the LS1. Technology and efficiency are going to make no difference to anyone unless those things translate into hard numbers. Look at it from their point of view: Why should they respect the s2000 engine for having 120HP/liter or for "doing more with less". That only matters if you are gaining something somewhere from that. And compared to LS1 the lack of displacement sure doesn't save much weight or gain much fuel efficiency (Which are the typical arguments for lower displacement). And if you include the LS6 (which is based on the LS1) it gets worse.

The problem is that the s2000's strengths are in the intangibles. Things like the "feel" of the steering, chassis, brakes, shifter, etc. Things that don't have hard numbers, but increase the ever important "fun factor". You're not going win an argument with that, so just be happy with your car and accept that people are going to be asses.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:20 PM

RicePimp:

Careful .... that was more than half intelligent!
Old 03-12-2002, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
So Jim, Is this the answer to my question too then?
Yep. You'll find out, I wager, since all progeny live to beat dad.

For my money, they're just different paths to the same glen. Both fun, both exciting, both a hard-on. Neither needs to make an apology. Not an either-or situation.

BTW, before dismissing the Z in the twisties, one should know it pulls .88g on the skidpad.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:15 AM

I just love cars, I can find something to like about pretty well any of 'em. For the life of me I can't understand the scorn some of you guys heap on the home grown product. I suppose we're as bad with our own domestic stuff, apart from the more exotic! I've seen a Z06 around here a few times, I'll take it in that yellowy green colour please!!
Old 03-13-2002, 04:06 AM

Compared to the Z06

What's the cost of a....
Skyline?
RX-7 Type R?
RS4?
Supra? (of course, a few mods added )
EVO7? (supposedly runs 12s in Japan stock, a Mitsu Rep told me this)
Old 03-13-2002, 04:22 AM

[QUOTE][i]

Oh yeah, and they kept saying... ok name one import in the same price range as a Z06 that can beat a Z06.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:35 AM

May I respectfully suggest that the "scorn some of us heap on the home-grown product" i.e. American cars, is due to the fact that American cars still haven't approached the build quality of many foreign cars, Japanese in particular. American cars are getting better, but they still lag in easily measurable terms, just look at the "Suggested Used Vehicles" section of the Consumer Reports Car Issue; you will find primarily Japanese vehicles there, and when you look at the "Used Cars to Avoid" section, you will find American cars highly over-represented.

This is not opinion, or American car bashing, these are findings based on actual owner experiences with the vehicles. I grew up with parents who tried to buy American cars, but every time they did, they were sorely disappointed. They eventually gave up and now drive only Nissan and Toyota products, not because they're anti-American, but because they don't enjoy being broken down on the side of the road.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by RicePimp
Just FYI, you're going to have a hard time arguing against the LS1. Technology and efficiency are going to make no difference to anyone unless those things translate into hard numbers. Look at it from their point of view: Why should they respect the s2000 engine for having 120HP/liter or for "doing more with less". That only matters if you are gaining something somewhere from that. And compared to LS1 the lack of displacement sure doesn't save much weight or gain much fuel efficiency (Which are the typical arguments for lower displacement). And if you include the LS6 (which is based on the LS1) it gets worse.
I have to disagree in the sense that while an LS1 may get comparable fuel economy on the highway if my S2000 and an LS1 powered car are going full tilt I am still gettting about 20 MPG and thay aren't anywhere close.

Quick Reply: almost forgot why i didnt go in chat rooms (venting)