S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

All season tire or Performance Tire!?!??! Which to get?

Old 01-12-2004, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All season tire or Performance Tire!?!??! Which to get?

I've been thinking about whether I should get the Blizzak LM22s or maybe I should get an all season performance tire that is good in the snow like Cooper Cobra. I don't drive very hard so handling is not a main concern to me. I used to have Cooper Cobra tires on my MR2 and they were pretty good. I don't need a Z rated tire since I don't plan on driving 140+ mph. The Cooper Cobras lasted a long time I must say. I will still keep my S02s. Can anyone recommend a good all season tire that's good in the cold, rain and snow? Maybe I should get the LM22s. I don't know if they make Cobras for S2000 size tires.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:29 PM

Dunlop SP5000
Old 01-12-2004, 04:24 PM

Pirelli P7000 Supersport...one of the best all-season ultra high performance tires out there. If you must go with all-season, that's my choice.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never met an all-season tire that's good in the snow. As a New Yorker, you need to expect snowstorms. Get snow tires.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:57 PM

I suppose. I remember I drove through some nasty snow in my MR2 with the Cooper Cobras and they were pretty good. I was driving on the PA turnpike one time in a snowstorm and the roads were not plowed. Maybe I am comparing two different cars when I shouldn't be. Both are RWD and mid engined so the handling dynamics can't be that much different. Just wanted to see if anybody knew of any good all season tires since I was thinking about using those all year round which hopefully would last a lot longer than the S02s. I suppose winter tires are the smarter choice. I got to get a set of steel rims or something.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:08 PM

Dunlop SP 5000's are good high-performance, all-season tires. I had them on my GSR, and they were light years better than the stock Michelins in the dry and rain. However, they were only marginally effective in the snow (I actually slid into a curb and did about $1500 in damage while only going about 20 mph on a snowy neighborhood street). Decent treadwear as well. I know the SP 5000's come in our sizes too.

So, if you live in NYC, and the snow is cleared (relatively) quickly, I think you could get away with the Dunlops - I grew up on LI, so I'm only guessing that they clear the snow in NYC quickly. Just don't try taking them through fresh/deep snow. . . but you'll be happy with them in the fall/spring/summer.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:13 AM

What year is your MR2? I have an 87 MR2 that has Dunlop Graspic DS-1 snow tires in the winter time. It's my winter beater. The Graspics have handled the couple of snowstorms we have had this year and handled it very will. The S is hibernating in the garage. I only take it out when the roads are dry. If I had to drive the S in the winter I would just go with all-out winter tires like the LM22
Old 01-13-2004, 05:32 AM

i would never drive a car in the snow without a tire that was mud/snow rated (little snow flake on the sidewall)

there are no all season tires that I know of that are mud/snow rated.

Therefore, i would recommend that you spend a little extra money and buy a set of ultra highs for the summer, and some good snow tires for the winter.

Your car and insurance company will thank you for it.......

HOWEVER....

has anyone seen that commercial for a Nitto tire that claims to be an ultra-high performance tire that is ALSO mud and snow rated? Interesting
Old 01-13-2004, 07:11 AM

I have a set of 4 LM22s mounted on some American Racing rims for sale if you are interested. PM me for more info.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are no all season tires that I know of that are mud/snow rated.
You sure? My previous Accord had Michelin MXV4 All season with M+S. As a matter of fact. Most All-Season tires are M+S because they are "All Season"

Quick Reply: All season tire or Performance Tire!?!??! Which to get?