S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

All fluids changed for bought used s2000?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All fluids changed for bought used s2000?

Hello guys,

So i just bought a used 2000 S2000 with 70k km (44k miles) and was wondering what should i get replaced (i bought from dealer, so im going to assume that the previous owner didn't change any fluids/whatever needs maintenance) I'm a first time car owner so please spell it out for me I want to make sure that everything that usually needs maintenance on a car will get replaced by me so i know how longs its been til my next schedule.

Could someone please help me out? I don't have an owners manual yet, but will try and find one. I tried to search for this thread but i couldn't find anything, if there is one could someone point me in the right direction please?

from what i gather i have to get an oil change, transmission fluid, diff fluid, brake fluid.... anything else?

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 PM

add clutch fluid to you list, that along with brake fluid should be done every 3 years regardless of mileage.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might as well do a coolant flush, too. I would also check the air filter and the cabin filter. It looks like you have pretty much everything else covered. Now make sure you get the right fluids...
Here is my list;

Oil - Mobil 1 synthetic...Might be changing to Royal Purple
Trans - Honda MTF
Diff - Mobil Gear Fluid 75w90
Brake/Clutch - Almost any dot 3 is fine
Coolant - Honda Coolant from the dealer
Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my car with a kind of "unknown" service history and I just went ahead and changed the fluids.

Radiator coolant you can get an idea of the condition by the color
(If its black or brown colored it should be changed should be green)

Engine Oil is a given...Any car owner changes that on a frequent basis.

I would replace the transmission fluid just so you know its done.

I would also replace the rear diff fluid just so you know its done.

Brake fluid and clutch fluid can be changed but they really dont see as much abuse as the other fluids...These fluids should be clear...If they are brown/black have them bled with new fluid.

Also mark down when you replaced each fluid and when that way you know for future reference and also so that the next owner knows as well

For the actual cost of the fluids I would just have them replaced it gives you peace of mind and a little expense now will go a long way. If anything just replace your transmission and rear diff fluid as they see the most wear.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 PM

^^I think the Honda Coolant is blue now if I remember correctly.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh really? Wouldnt know I have a 00 S2K Feel free to correct me on any of that advice if im wrong
Old 03-31-2008, 01:27 PM

Technically, you aren't wrong. I believe alot of other coolants are still green. Just in case he still might have the original coolant in there, it might be blue. So I would hate for him to think someone put windshield washer fluid in his coolant because it wasn't green. Just letting him know if it is blue, it is the OEM coolant and not windshield washer fluid.....hopefully.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:30 PM

thanks a lot guys! now, im just wondering is it better to take this car to a honda dealership to get all this done (can they even do this)? or a local service shop? would a honda dealer use fluids of my choice?

I wouldnt know the first thing about how to check for any of these fluids
Old 03-31-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But most of us do, there are tons of write ups and it'll give you a chance to visually inspect under the car... You might even find a spacer or two, it's been known to happen even on used cars.

It's not that hard of work and gratifying.

You'll pay a small fortune at the dealer to do all of this work.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Original Honda coolant from an 00 is green. New honda fluid comes pre-mixed (50 water 50 coolant) and is blue. It makes the process simple.. but costs a little more.

Quick Reply: All fluids changed for bought used s2000?